New 2016 RT- late clutch engagement

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
johniac7078

New 2016 RT- late clutch engagement

Post by johniac7078 »

I just got a new 2016 RT.  I find the clutch engages very late, almost all the way out.  Works fine just very different than my 636 or Diavel.  Is this normal?

Thanks

John
Ihbond

Re: New 2016 RT- late clutch engagement

Post by Ihbond »

I just got mine about a month and compared to my HD it definitely engages almost all the way out as well..  not sure if there is an adjustment for it or not. Does not bother me, just thinking.
2016 r1200rt
smenard415

Post by smenard415 »

Greetings,

When I first got my 2016 RT I thought there was something wrong with mine it was so far out.  I damn near wrecked it twice trying to slip the clutch leaving a stop.  I purposely drove around in town to make myself use it over and over.  I did get some benefit playing with the lever adjuster moving the lever in towards the grip more.

I am happy to say that around 1000 miles it seemed to have "fixed" itself and seems normal now.  I'm used to a hydraulic clutch since my Roadglide has one but this one was a challenge for a while.

SteveM 
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

There is an adjustment wheel right on the clutch lever. "Position 1: smallest distance between handlebar grip and clutch lever."
Hopefully I'm not stating the obvious to you.
Steve
Ihbond

Post by Ihbond »

It's always good to state the obvious, sometimes overlooked. In my situation I have moved it to 1 (shortest lever distance). Still for me the ratio of engaging is still at the end of the release. Ise to having the engagement closer the grip.....

2016 r1200rt
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I have the same problem with my 2016 and it is annoying, especially on a tight low speed right turn manoeuvre.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It must be something you just get used to! It has never come on my radar as a problem, so I must have got used to it quickly. I have no issues slow riding, next time I'll see where my clutch bites in case for some reason mine is different
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote: It must be something you just get used to! It has never come on my radar as a problem, so I must have got used to it quickly. I have no issues slow riding, next time I'll see where my clutch bites in case for some reason mine is different

I reckon they are all the same.  I have not noticed any difference in the clutch action over my last 7 RTs, dry or wet. Coming from a different make it would probably be more  noticeable.
BlueRT

Post by BlueRT »

I had a similar circumstance when I purchased my RT in Oct-2016. As coached by members of this astute group of miscreants, look at your clutch and brake lever. See a dial with number 1-2-3-4 on the dial. I assume the dial is currently set at "4". "4" being the loosest setting for the levers, requiring maximum release before the clutch engages.. My dials were set at "4" out of the factory. I adjusted my dials and reset my levers to "1".  The result was the clutch engages with very little movement of the lever. You can adjust your lever 1-2-3 to suit you personal ergonomics.  I like the "1" setting as it allows me to get into the friction zone just as soon as I release the lever. 
Keep The Faith!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Got to admit, didn't think the leaver adjuster made any difference to clutch bite, just moves the leaver so if you have smaller hands you can reach the leaver easier.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote: Got to admit, didn't think the leaver adjuster made any difference to clutch bite, just moves the leaver so if you have smaller hands you can reach the leaver easier.

Correct.  It just adjusts the lever reach. 
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Additional​ biting point adjustment details:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... pictorial)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you read the whole thread, you will find mixed results, some it works for others it completely screws things up, so proceed under caution.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Casbar wrote: If you read the whole thread, you will find mixed results, some it works for others it completely screws things up, so proceed under caution.
Indeed, but a little common sense will see you right.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

fatnfast wrote: Indeed, but a little common sense will see you right.

Indeed. I think the key here is only make a small adjustment and then test. As Jim states in his writeup only adjust by ONE turn and then test. Think I may have a go at this myself. My clutch biting point is a little to far out for me.