Heed Engine Crash Bars

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Ward-p

Re: Heed Engine Crash Bars

Post by Ward-p »

I have the heed bars on my 06 RT easy to fit and remove once the bracket set is on never had cause to use them in anger thank god but for me I like them got my camera mount and aux lights on them.

Pete
The good times only happen when life ain't lookin
mitcher16

Post by mitcher16 »

I just ordered a set of crash bars for my 2015 RT. $338 CAD, how can you beat that!  Amazing price and so far a great company to deal with. Looking forward to receiving them and putting them on. Will post some pictures once on. 
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Have you got them fitted yet?
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

Heed pictures attached
Attachments
heed1.jpg
heed.jpg
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Kellenbenz wrote: Heed pictures attached

They're quite unobtrusive for crash bars.  Do you reckon they'll do anything that the OEM head-guards won't, or are they just a simple alternative?
Kellenbenz

Post by Kellenbenz »

I feel they might keep the side panels off the ground in a stand still drop. They also will keep the bike from going so far over.
469,902 miles on BMW motorcycles
GDD

Post by GDD »

I use Ilium Works bars.
Good quality and easy fit.
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

I think the bars look fine - like they serve an obvious purpose. I just did a slow freeway crash on a 1000 V-strom when someone looked up from their phone and noticed some space in the next lane.
I almost stopped in time but no joy (no ABS). Other than very sore ribs, I'm fine but the bike was a total. I know it's not even close to the same bike but steel guards would have helped a lot. Looking at the RT, I think bars will be my next addition. Sure, the plastic head covers are better than nothing but even a minor crash like the one I had would have totaled the RT as well.
2013 R1200RT- the last of the oilheads
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Lokey1 wrote: I think the bars look fine - like they serve an obvious purpose. I just did a slow freeway crash on a 1000 V-strom when someone looked up from their phone and noticed some space in the next lane.
I almost stopped in time but no joy (no ABS). Other than very sore ribs, I'm fine but the bike was a total. I know it's not even close to the same bike but steel guards would have helped a lot. Looking at the RT, I think bars will be my next addition. Sure, the plastic head covers are better than nothing but even a minor crash like the one I had would have totaled the RT as well.

Would just point out that the OEM head protectors are heavy guage stainless steel with rubber inserts on the LC.  Bars can lead to the bike rolling over them causing a lot of damage to items like the top,of the panniers and front panels.  In addition in a forward moving drop if they bend back you can end up with severe head damage.
SurfCity16RT
Bike Model and Year: 2021 GSA
United States of America

Post by SurfCity16RT »

I ordered a set from Heed directly and saved some money, you can go to their web site and contact them. The only thing I have is it will scrape if you ride a lot of twisties, I scraped mine while riding 2 up in Santa Monica mountain slow speed. Hind sight, may be spend a bit more and look at the other manufacture like Illium or so IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2016 BMW R 1200 RT-11/11/2016
2021 BMW R 1250GSA 04/09/2021
bikerdog
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LC
Great Britain

Post by bikerdog »

I ordered a set of HEED bars from ebay  for £148 including delivery to the UK after first emailing the company. They were cheaper on the ebay site than from HEED direct. However they arrived in under 4 days well wrapped up and I fitted them in about 90 mins. No need to remove any plastic, just take your time with a few spanners and an allen key.  They look pretty good and a good £100 cheaper than any alternative.
Bobf

Post by Bobf »

Just received Heed crash bars for my 2017 R1200RT LC. I contacted Heed directly and the the price delivered to my door in Montreal was 335$ cdn, No duties or taxes. Items were well wrapped and arrived here in perfect condition. Instructions seem clear enough.

I will install them this week and give my comments. Sure wish I had them earlier as I have dropped my bike two times and put minor scratches on the bottom of the cylinder head. At this time, they do not have back bars for the panniers, but should have them shortly. Will order at that time.
Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young
Bobf

Post by Bobf »

Installed the bars by myself. A very easy job that took 1 hours as I took my time. Could not be easier.
Attachments
20171026_161410.jpg
20171026_161352.jpg
20171026_161340.jpg
20171025_163749.jpg
Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young