Underseat lock

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Potential new owner..
Been liked: 1 time

Underseat lock

Post by Potential new owner.. »

Can someone recommend a lock that fits under the seat please?
guest2360

Re: Underseat lock

Post by guest2360 »

Under the seat of an LC, probably none and definitely not one that will do any good.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Under the seat of an LC, probably none and definitely not one that will do any good.

suspect that's correct...
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

I have an Thatcham approved Abus disc lock with alarm (cost just under £100) that fits in the left hand fairing storage compartment, never tried it under the seat as I have my auto com under there but I would think it would go. I normally wouldn't buy a disc lock but the alarmed ones have a visual and audible presence.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Bertie wrote: I have an Thatcham approved Abus disc lock with alarm (cost just under £100) that fits in the left hand fairing storage compartment, never tried it under the seat as I have my auto com under there but I would think it would go. I normally wouldn't buy a disc lock but the alarmed ones have a visual and audible presence.

Good place for a lock but where do you keep your (non-lockable) satnav if the glovebox is full of disc lock?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Good place for a lock but where do you keep your (non-lockable) satnav if the glovebox is full of disc lock?

In your pocket or pannier or top box, like most normal people  8)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:

I never had a top box on my RT - bloody ugly, ungainly things IMHO - and my pockets are always full of other rubbish!

To be honest, I don't think I ever bothered with a disc lock on the RT.  I'm not really convinced they achieve that much but anyway, whoever heard of an RT getting nicked??

Since I switched to the dark side (GS), I've become much more interested in the locks and alarms threads though!

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yeh, would think a GS is more attractive. I don't bother with a lock. I also only put the top box on when my wife is with me, she is always worried about falling off the back :)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Potential new owner.. wrote: Can someone recommend a lock that fits under the seat please?
Hmm, isn't that what the panniers are for?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:

I used to think I was nearly normal.  As I store mine in the locker I'm obviously not.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote:
I used to think I was nearly normal.  As I store mine in the locker I'm obviously not.

Lol think you have proved that on many occasion  8) :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
Lol think you have proved that on many occasion  8) :whistle:

And there's me thinking nobody had noticed.  The result of 32 yrs instead of 27 ah.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote:
And there's me thinking nobody had noticed.  The result of 32 yrs instead of 27 ah.

Touche  8)  Better get back on topic or we will get in trouble
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Sorry i thought i was helping someone with a question. I was not asking for approval on where i store things on my bike, whether i choose to have a top box or indeed which model of motorcycle i ride.
I shall not be bothering again.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I thought both comments were just a bit of light hearted humour.  That's what I took the comments to my contribution to be even though I'm not quite normal, some of the time.