2012 RT and Navigator V compatibility?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
ppl

2012 RT and Navigator V compatibility?

Post by ppl »

Anyone any experience with mounting, using and use of Multi Function Control with 2012 RT and Navigator V?
Sooty57

Re: 2012 RT and Navigator V compatibility?

Post by Sooty57 »

I have the Nav V on a 2104RT. To be honest I find it easier and quicker to use the touchscreen on the nav, but that may be because I always have the mf display set to display current speed (my old eyes have a problem with the analogue speedo) which means I would have to keep repeatedly pressing the menu button just to get to the point where the MFC talks to the sat nav.
I'm really happy with the Nav V, but it does seem to be integrated far better with the GS than the RT.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 2012 RT and Navigator V compatibility?

Post by richardbd »

Sooty57 wrote: I'm really happy with the Nav V, but it does seem to be integrated far better with the GS than the RT.

Having had the same Nav5 on a 14RT and then a 17GS, I wouldn't 100% agree.

I think that the integration of the Nav5 with the bike systems is definitely better on the GS - mainly because the Nav5's "my bike" functionality works with GS but not RT.

However, almost everything that you can get on the Nav5 in "my bike" you can already access through the bike's own info systems (RT or GS) so I'm not sure the functionality has any real value.

What is definitely better on the RT is the interface between the Nav5 and the bike.  The GS has no "favourite" button on the bars, which makes a huge difference to usability, given that you can't reorder the Nav5's menus.  Also, because the wonder wheel has nothing else to do on the GS than control the Nav5, some of the defaults are really annoying.  For example, if you have Nav5 showing map page (as we do 99% of the time) the default on the wheel is zoom in/out and you have to move two screens forward to make wheel adjust audio volume.  It works but it's way more intuitive on the RT.

So, as always, pros and cons...