I dropped my bike...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: I dropped my bike...

Post by timminator »

Mac77 wrote: My panniers are painted the whole side, so would of scuffed? Fortunately, my wheelie bin took the brunt of the weight, through the seat
Ahh, different style of pannier...yes, you would definitely have scratched it.  Mine has a small scratch, but it's down so low you don't normally notice it.
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Mac77 wrote: Fortunately, my wheelie bin took the brunt of the weight, through the seat

Your wheelie bin has a seat??

;)
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

richardbd wrote:
Your wheelie bin has a seat??

;)

Quite comfy... ha!
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

timminator wrote: Ahh, different style of pannier...yes, you would definitely have scratched it.  Mine has a small scratch, but it's down so low you don't normally notice it.
Yes mate. I'm dreading the mrs getting on the back. Got to teach her to step through, not drag her leg over. Can see an argument already!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Mac77 wrote: My panniers are painted the whole side, so would of scuffed? Fortunately, my wheelie bin took the brunt of the weight, through the seat

There are some very effective OEM pannier protectors for yours.  From memory they are about £70 but the lids are well over £200 each.  Made of a hard rubber compound. 
timminator

Post by timminator »

Mac77 wrote: Yes mate. I'm dreading the mrs getting on the back. Got to teach her to step through, not drag her leg over. Can see an argument already!
Move quickly and lift your leg high enough, that's about it.  My pillion ended up hanging out on the left peg too long as she tried to un-stick her foot, and that was all it took.  I think another lesson is keeping the side-stand down until she is mounted (even though you are balancing the bike).  It would have saved us.
BMW MOA #210438
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Thanks lads. She's used to swinging over from my last bike; need to teach the 'thru leg'!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Did I tell you that last year, after 20+ years of my wife travelling on the back with me, I discovered that she mounted by placing the left foot on the left footrest then swinging the right leg OVER THE TOPBOX !
I had assumed that taking the right foot over the seat would be the obvious (only) way to go .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

RTman10 wrote:
There are some very effective OEM pannier protectors for yours.  From memory they are about £70 but the lids are well over £200 each.  Made of a hard rubber compound.

Thanks rtman. I think I'm going to need them!
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

gogs01 wrote: Did I tell you that last year, after 20+ years of my wife travelling on the back with me, I discovered that she mounted by placing the left foot on the left footrest then swinging the right leg OVER THE TOPBOX !
I had assumed that taking the right foot over the seat would be the obvious (only) way to go .....

That was my thought... she's already scuffed the hand rail... we've had words already!
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

[size=2px]<<There are some very effective OEM pannier protectors for yours.&nbsp; From memory they are about £70 but the lids are well over £200 each.&nbsp; Made of a hard rubber compound. >>[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Or you could go to Halfords and buy a set of Bumper Protectors for £17.99. [/size]http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-ac ... ctor-370mm
I know these work as I dropped my bike on a patch of diesel and the panniers were unmarked.
With the bike on the centre stand I ran a straight edge from the rear tyre to the panniers and stuck the protector where they meet. They're almost invisible when fitted.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

MacJ wrote: <<There are some very effective OEM pannier protectors for yours.&nbsp; From memory they are about £70 but the lids are well over £200 each.&nbsp; Made of a hard rubber compound. >>[/size]

[/size]
Or you could go to Halfords and buy a set of Bumper Protectors for £17.99. [/size]https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-protection/richbrook-bumper-bodywork-protector-370mm
I know these work as I dropped my bike on a patch of diesel and the panniers were unmarked.
With the bike on the centre stand I ran a straight edge from the rear tyre to the panniers and stuck the protector where they meet. They're almost invisible when fitted.

I have the Halfords pattern ones on mine but I don't think they would work on the older fully painted lids.&nbsp; But I agree on the LC for £9.99 they are superb. The only adjustment you need to make to them is to find 2 very small BMW emblems .
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: The only adjustment you need to make to them is to find 2 very small BMW emblems .

Not a problem - presumably you keep a few in stock?

:alas: :alas:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: <<There are some very effective OEM pannier protectors for yours.&nbsp; From memory they are about £70 but the lids are well over £200 each.&nbsp; Made of a hard rubber compound. >>[/size]

[/size]
Or you could go to Halfords and buy a set of Bumper Protectors for £17.99. [/size]https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-protection/richbrook-bumper-bodywork-protector-370mm

I know a few have put bumper protectors on the panniers, can someone post a pic of what they look like?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Here you go.&nbsp; Badge not available in Halfords. They do travel the other way up though, most of the time.
Attachments
WP_20170408_13_07_00_Pro.jpg
IMG_0335.JPG
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.