BMW Comm System vs. Schuberth vs ??

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Twodog

BMW Comm System vs. Schuberth vs ??

Post by Twodog »

Hey Folks,

So I need to get a new helmet and comm system plus GPS.  For the GPS I'm going to get the new NAV VI.  For the helmet I'm thinking either Schuberth C3 Pro, C4 Pro or BMW Sys 7 Carbon.  It depends on what fits my head best and feels good.  Depending on the helmet, will determine the comm system, I think.

Kind of leaning towards a full BMW setup but I'm a little wary of some of the reviews for the audio BT integration and overall sound quality, I've run with a Scala in the past so I know what to expect decent but not audiophile.

Wondering what other's are doing any comments on the Schubert comm system vs the BMW.  I'm more of a solo traveler so bike to bike and pillion isn't THAT important.  I'll pair with iPhone, Nav & Helmet

I'm looking to purchase most of this stuff while I'm in Germany end of the month and return to Canada with it sooo.. I'd like to get it right the first time :) 

Appreciate any feedback, impressions or comments.

Thanks,
Two.

Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: BMW Comm System vs. Schuberth vs ??

Post by richardbd »

Twodog wrote: Hey Folks,

So I need to get a new helmet and comm system plus GPS.  For the GPS I'm going to get the new NAV VI.  For the helmet I'm thinking either Schuberth C3 Pro, C4 Pro or BMW Sys 7 Carbon.  It depends on what fits my head best and feels good.  Depending on the helmet, will determine the comm system, I think.

Kind of leaning towards a full BMW setup but I'm a little wary of some of the reviews for the audio BT integration and overall sound quality, I've run with a Scala in the past so I know what to expect decent but not audiophile.

Wondering what other's are doing any comments on the Schubert comm system vs the BMW.  I'm more of a solo traveler so bike to bike and pillion isn't THAT important.  I'll pair with iPhone, Nav & Helmet

I'm looking to purchase most of this stuff while I'm in Germany end of the month and return to Canada with it sooo.. I'd like to get it right the first time :) 

Appreciate any feedback, impressions or comments.

Thanks,
Two.

RTMan10 will be along to give you a full answer soon - he's the top bod on this stuff.

FWIW I had a 2014 RTLC with full audio, Nav5 and BMW bluetooth helmet unit.  I also had full hard-wired Autocom on the same bike (don't ask why!).  Not much to choose between them in terms of sound quality, though you could get more volume out of the Autocom.  The BMW bluetooth was good enough that I haven't bothered with Autocome since I switched to a GS.

I only ever rode solo, so your requirements might be different.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Do a search this has been covered intenitum many times. I have Scala Packtalk on my Schuberth C3 Pro. Works fine, but as others will tell you, you can only pair one helmet to the bike, so if you have audio, you can't have two helmets paired to the bike to listen to audio. That is not an issue for me, so everything works ok.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you want to save yourself a very large bucket of money just pop,on an Autocom with a Bluetooth dongle. You will then get full control of the audio system using the wheel. My understanding of the BMW kit is that the sound quality is very good and BMW have recently extended its battery life which was  already good. You will also get full connection to the audio unit.  No other make will.  The only downside I am aware of is it doesn't automatically mute the music for the phone or talking.  Cannot comment on the Schubert stuff but I'm not a fan of their helmets.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

Casbar wrote: Do a search this has been covered intenitum many times. I have Scala Packtalk on my Schuberth C3 Pro. Works fine, but as others will tell you, you can only pair one helmet to the bike, so if you have audio, you can't have two helmets paired to the bike to listen to audio. That is not an issue for me, so everything works ok.

Thanks for the insight, probably only would pair a single helmet.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

RTman10 wrote: If you want to save yourself a very large bucket of money just pop,on an Autocom with a Bluetooth dongle. You will then get full control of the audio system using the wheel. My understanding of the BMW kit is that the sound quality is very good and BMW have recently extended its battery life which was  already good. You will also get full connection to the audio unit.  No other make will.  The only downside I am aware of is it doesn't automatically mute the music for the phone or talking.  Cannot comment on the Schubert stuff but I'm not a fan of their helmets.

I don't know anything about autocom but I'll look at that.  Do you use the BMW kit?  I like the idea of full connection to the audio unit, Could you use a BMW comm system on another brand helmet vs BMW?  Don't see why not but heck it is BMW so not sure. 

Thanks for the response.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Any BT will give full connection to the audio system, you can only pair to one helmet though. But that works for me as I use my BT on different bikes.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Any BT will give full connection to the audio system, you can only pair to one helmet though. But that works for me as I use my BT on different bikes.

Isn't it the case though that non-BMW bt stuff can't be controlled with the wonder wheel?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Two points.  The audio unit has two BT connections it , one for each helmet so it can be argued it only half connects.  Not a problem if you ride alone if course.
Point two.  The wonder wheel,only works with the BMW headsets and then only with one helmet for volume.
Umm, point three.  An Autocom system connected to the audio unit gives total control to both helmets for volume on the wheel and of course all it's other functions.  And no batteries , no,pairing.  No switching on or off.  Just one cable is all that's needed in any helmet you want.Ancient but perfect. I don't think you would manage to get a BMW unit into any helmet but their own.  Even if you managed to there would be no warranty on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Love my Schuberth SRC, ride alone, use iPod, iPhone, just press the collar to adjust volume and nudge siri for commands.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: Do a search this has been covered intenitum many times ......
I'm curious - what is meant by intenitum ?  I can't find a dictionary definition, and none of the alternatives seem to fit ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: I'm curious - what is meant by intenitum ?  I can't find a dictionary definition, and none of the alternatives seem to fit ?

Don't know, predictive text in action. Meant infinitum  8)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

:)  Thanks !  ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE