USB power source

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Alcfire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Great Britain

USB power source

Post by Alcfire »

simular to previous post, I have a 2011 RT with audio, and want to power a perminatly installed camera. The camera is a 4Kam with dvr, the dvr powers the camera. The power supply (for in car use) has a usb connection.
My question is can I power the camera / dvr from the usb connection on the audio system that is used for a flash drive.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: USB power source

Post by Sullivj »

I don't have audio, so can't answer directly, but have you considered the power supply for the Sat Nav?

It was unused on my 2012, so I plugged a 12v to 5v USB lead into it. It's hidden near the front forks.

It shuts down when the ignition is turned off.
Alcfire
Great Britain

Post by Alcfire »

Thanks for reply but satnav connection is already in use for satnav, thanks anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

On my 15rt I tapped into taillight power
Look at skene designs directions for powering P3 lights, they will have a power scource for 2011 rt's that should help you
Mine Is a  innov camera always one when ignition is on
Jim
Alcfire
Great Britain

Post by Alcfire »

Thanks T6 but on the power lead for the dvr is already fitted a usb plug, so you can understand why I am keen to use the sub socket on the audio unit.
From the dvr manual it states that in car mode (using usb connection) the dvr will automatically start recording in time laps mode but can be changed to normal video mode.

Extract from manual,  Car Mode[/font]:[/font]

In the car mode, DVR of the car will startup video function automatically when USB Car Charger connect with power supply[/font]; [/font]DVR will delay shutdown and keep recording automatically in 2~30 minutes after ignition is off. Set up the time of Delay shutdown to select Car Time lapse REC in the menu

I am always  mentioning car mode but the system is built for use either in a car or on a bike so the camera is waterproof

guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I get the power for my camera from the sat nav, I know yours is in use, as is mine. I tapped into the sat nav loom and it's been on three bikes as it just unplugs with the sat nav loom.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

i bought a simple plug that fits into power socket and has 2 usb outlets on it. One for my camera and one for the iphone7  that i use for satnav ; music and phone if i WANT it.

works fine the lead sit snuggly along fairing top and up to the kit. Cheap as chips!

2012 SE
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

The sat nav loom sounds ideal ItsOnlyMe, do you use Pozi Tap to tap into the sat nav loom, and how many wires are there, two or three, as there are three wires on camera?
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

The black is neutral and the red is positive 12v.[/font][/size]The BMW harness has a purple, not tried it to see if it's live or not.

I bared the wire and soldered but pozitaps are great too.