Navigator IV - Basecamp Uploads

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steveeung

Navigator IV - Basecamp Uploads

Post by Steveeung »

I have a Navigator iV on my RT1200 LC and when I upload a multi-waypoint route to it from basecamp, it works OK if I stick to the route. However, if I veer off the route (i.e. get a bit lost!),it seems to get confused ... when I have it set to 'auto' for re-calculate. If I set the re-calculate to manual, it works, but is a pain in the butt to have to keep pressing yes. Has anyone got an answer for getting the 'auto' setting for re-calculate to work on the Nav IV with a route with multiple way points uploaded from base-camp?  :eek:
RT LE, San Marino Blue, Cee Bailey Screen, Nav IV, Hornig horn, Aux Lights, Michelin Pilot Road 4GT, Crud Deflector, Fender Ext
Levisp

Re: Navigator IV - Basecamp Uploads

Post by Levisp »

If I understand you correctly you have auto recalculate switched on. If you do this and veer off route you will lose your carefully planned route. The Nav will recalculate the route to next waypoint according to your Nav route preferences. If you want to follow a preplanned route then turn off route recalculation to OFF. Now when you go off your route your Nav will do nothing. You will have to get yourself back onto the pink line. Your route will stay intact. Hope this makes sense.

This is how my Nav V and Garmin LM350 works.
Last edited by Levisp on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon it's just trying to get back to the waypoint you missed having got lost.
You can, having used multi points to build a route in BaseCamp, delete them before transferring the route to your  Nav. If nothing else it will take you to your destination.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: I reckon it's just trying to get back to the waypoint you missed having got lost.
You can, having used multi points to build a route in BaseCamp, delete them before transferring the route to your  Nav. If nothing else it will take you to your destination.

Thats the problem. Suppose you plan a route that avoids a motorway. Your route is slower and longer way to your destination but more interesting. If you go off route with route recalculation ON then the Nav will recalculate a new route direct to destination using the motorway which you have spent hours trying to avoid. The recalculation will be based on device's navigation preferences, e.g. fastest, shortest or curvy.

I have had a lot of trouble with this until I discovered what was going on. I now switch OFF auto route recacaluation when I'm trying to follow a preplanned route. If I go wrong then its easier enough to just get yourself back on route where Nav will pickup the navigation.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

One thing I have done to get round the problem of the Nav trying to get back to a missed waypoint is added a custom button to the default display that allows you to "skip next waypoint".  Off hand I can't remember to add it to the screen but from memory it replaced the "mute" default button shown.  Hope that helps, Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you replace your waypoints with shaping points in Basecamp, if you miss one, it doesn't try and take you back. This is information I found on another site and as yet I haven't tried it  8)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: If you replace your waypoints with shaping points in Basecamp, if you miss one, it doesn't try and take you back. This is information I found on another site and as yet I haven't tried it  8)

That is correct - but I've half an idea (from memory) that if you choose to skip a way point en route, all the shaping points between the skipped way point and the next way point will also be overridden by the the satnav's fastest/shortest logic as it calculates the way to the next waypoint.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

All too complex for me. Just turn off auto recalculate. Added benefit you are not tempted to play with Nav on the move. Stay safe.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Levisp wrote:
Thats the problem. Suppose you plan a route that avoids a motorway. Your route is slower and longer way to your destination but more interesting. If you go off route with route recalculation ON then the Nav will recalculate a new route direct to destination using the motorway which you have spent hours trying to avoid. The recalculation will be based on device's navigation preferences, e.g. fastest, shortest or curvy.

I have had a lot of trouble with this until I discovered what was going on. I now switch OFF auto route recacaluation when I'm trying to follow a preplanned route. If I go wrong then its easier enough to just get yourself back on route where Nav will pickup the navigation.

I'm not sure it does recalculate the route.  Often when pulling off for breaks you will go off route but it takes you straight back to it without recalculating .  Does on my V anyway. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
That is correct - but I've half an idea (from memory) that if you choose to skip a way point en route, all the shaping points between the skipped way point and the next way point will also be overridden by the the satnav's fastest/shortest logic as it calculates the way to the next waypoint.

Yes, think I'm saying don't use waypoints, plan your route, then change all the waypoints to shaping points then there is no way point to miss.