Linked Brakes

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Linked Brakes

Post by Casbar »

I agree, but that wasn't what I was talking about, obviously you need to slow for a corner and approach at appropriate speed, and I am ROSPA and IAM, but don't train anymore. I'm talking about bikers who even if going at the appropriate speed, dab their brakes (comfort braking) even when they do not need to. If your planning correctly you will have already read and planned for the hazard and be approaching at the correct speed, in the correct gear and in the correct position.

So you can lecture all you want  8)

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: I agree, but that wasn't what I was talking about, obviously you need to slow for a corner and approach at appropriate speed, and I am ROSPA and IAM, but don't train anymore. I'm talking about bikers who even if going at the appropriate speed, dab their brakes (comfort braking) even when they do not need to. If your planning correctly you will have already read and planned for the hazard and be approaching at the correct speed, in the correct gear and in the correct position.

So you can lecture all you want  8)

See, after all that we agree - so we won't get into trouble!
;-))
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
See, after all that we agree - so we won't get into trouble!
;-))

8)  we don't want too much of that though  ;)
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

linked brakes ? Does this include 2010 models ? If it does then that explains why I feel movement in the rear brake pedal when I apply the front brake
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Duggie wrote: linked brakes ? Does this include 2010 models ? If it does then that explains why I feel movement in the rear brake pedal when I apply the front brake

No, that's your vivid imagination...

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Duggie wrote: linked brakes ? Does this include 2010 models ? If it does then that explains why I feel movement in the rear brake pedal when I apply the front brake

Yes you have semi linked brakes on a 2010.  And Richard is correct.  There is no movement in the pedal when you just operate the lever.  More importantly how would you know if your just using the bar lever.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I've noticed that same feeling too, When you're braking with the rear only and then pull the front lever due to a sudden change of plan, the rear seems to drop briefly?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

simbo wrote:
I've noticed that same feeling too, When you're braking with the rear only and then pull the front lever due to a sudden change of plan, the rear seems to drop briefly?

Of course it will as the front brake has taken over the operation of the back,one.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I think how they work is well described by others above, on my first BMW with linked brakes a K1600 I maintained my 30+ year habit of using pedal and lever, the consequence was the rear pads were worn out in ~9K miles...  I have since trained myself to use just the lever when riding normally and the pedal for slow speed manoeuvres only and so far on three subsequent BMWs with the same system no such early replacement needed!  Peter
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I have a 1957 Ambassador Supreme with unlinked cable brakes.. The rear pedal doesn't do much there either. Come to think of it, nor does the lever!

My point is, if you 'retrain' yourself not to use the pedal, what happens when you jump on a bike without linked brakes?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Peter Baker wrote: I think how they work is well described by others above, on my first BMW with linked brakes a K1600 I maintained my 30+ year habit of using pedal and lever, the consequence was the rear pads were worn out in ~9K miles...  I have since trained myself to use just the lever when riding normally and the pedal for slow speed manoeuvres only and so far on three subsequent BMWs with the same system no such early replacement needed!  Peter

Does it say in the handbook, when braking only use the front leaver and not the rear brake pedal? I have spoken to some of my police colleagues who are riding the RTP who have linked brakes and they have not been told to change the way they use the brakes. So think I will just keep going as normal, keep an eye on the rear pads to see if I experience anymore wear than normal, can't say I have yet in over 9k, but again I don't use the rear that much during normal riding. Interesting subject though, I have learnt something
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
Does it say in the handbook, when braking only use the front leaver and not the rear brake pedal? I have spoken to some of my police colleagues who are riding the RTP who have linked brakes and they have not been told to change the way they use the brakes. So think I will just keep going as normal, keep an eye on the rear pads to see if I experience anymore wear than normal, can't say I have yet in over 9k, but again I don't use the rear that much during normal riding. Interesting subject though, I have learnt something

Page 92 is interesting as it advises use of the front lever for optimum braking. Page 93 warns about overworking the rear brake on mountain descents.  Page 100 gives some detail of linked brakes.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thread here which goes into some detail http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/1 ... cerns.html

Just also out of interest what do the BMW tech guys in dealers advise, are they telling customers not to bother with the rear brake under normal braking?

Reading the thread I pasted the link to, it seems using the front only is ok. I had assumed the linked brakes worked the same as the Harley system, where you only got some pistons working during linking and the rear also put the front on, until below 25 mph when if you let off, the brakes worked independently. The BMW system is obviously different, again good turning curve  8)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I do use the rear to settle the bike, but when it comes to heavy braking using the lever and pedal makes the ABS cut in anyway, so I tend not to.