Weaving/white lining

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Pete1200

Weaving/white lining

Post by Pete1200 »

Apologies for what is no doubt a repeat discussion.
Am I the only one to suffer weaving/white lining? I swapped a pair of Metzeler Z8s with 4mm tread left on both tyres for a pair of Michelin Pilot 4 GTs because of the handling on the Z8s. At times it felt like the front and rear wheels were not connected and the bike felt very "uncertain" of itself. At first the Pilots were ok but then the handling deteriorated. However, now with higher temperatures, perhaps coincidentally, the feelings are lessened. Perhaps also because I have dropped the front pressure to 35psi.
It has been inferred that I may not be riding the bike hard enough to work the tyre sufficiently. Yes I'm not what you would call a hard rider, but the other night I covered 16 miles in 24 minutes including two urban areas and no dual carriageway/ motorway at all. Now I know that this is only 40 mph average but if you do it you will know that it was "good progress".
If I were to push on any harder then my licence would be in quite severe jeopardy so judge for yourselves how gentle that is.
The symptoms show mainly at lowish speeds, say up to 40 mph, especially on a neutral throttle. They manifest themselves in manners varying from a rolling sensation to that of the front wheel slipping on a wet drain cover. The dealer's mechanics say they can't find anything wrong. Metzeler inspected the Z8s without finding fault.
I have over 10000 miles on boxers under my belt so it's not inexperience.
Over to you for your experiences/answers etc. Please.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
guest2360

Re: Weaving/white lining

Post by guest2360 »

I ran  Z8s for over 5 years and cannot remember anything like that .  You say you have reduces the front pressures to 35psi.  What have you been setting them both to. As you know they recommend 36.5 and 42 psi.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

No consolation, but I'm on my second set of 4GT and have not experienced any issues with the handling at all. I do run my front tyre with 38 psi, which helps with cupping, but before I stated upping the pressure I still never experienced any issues with handling.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: No consolation, but I'm on my second set of 4GT and have not experienced any issues with the handling at all. I do run my front tyre with 38 psi, which helps with cupping, but before I stated upping the pressure I still never experienced any issues with handling.

Same here. 38/42 psi front/back on PR4GT. They feel great on LC bike. Also good on my Pan ST1300. Get about 8K from a set.

Pete1200 what bike are you riding.
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

I was running 37/42 psi on a 2015 LC and I will try various pressures to see what happens. One day I am steered towards it being a bike based problem then the next tyres.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I had a similar experience with part worn PR4s which came with the bike. Couldn't wait to get them off. Replaced with Avon Storm 2 Ultra (my tyre of choice) and the problem disappeared never to return with the Avons.
Chris
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Pete1200 it is possible to have a dud tyre. I know that PR4GT suit the RT LC bike. So either you have a problem with your tyre or bike. As your bike is 2015 I doubt that could be an issue, more likely a tyre issue. I would first of all stick to the OEM tyre pressures, measured cold 38/42PSI. If possible see if your local dealer has a demo bike with PR4GT fitted and ride it back to back with yours. Make sure suspension settings are the same on both bikes. If your bike feels weird compared to dealers then you know there is something wrong and its not you imagining it. Get your bike checked out by dealer and get mechanic to ride it and see what he thinks. Could just be you have a dud tyre. If you live anywhere near the West Sussex area, your very welcome to PM me and we could arrange a meet, and ride each others bikes and compare.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I had exactly this issue with my LCRT.  Turned out to be a fried front tyre.  It looked ok to me but dealer insisted that was the problem and when they replaced the tyre, the problem disappeared.

Ironically that wasn't the OEM Z8 though, it was a PR4GT and it hadn't done many miles.

I was convinced it was something more mechanical but changing the tyre - for another one the same - fixed it, totally...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote: Pete1200 it is possible to have a dud tyre. I know that PR4GT suit the RT LC bike. So either you have a problem with your tyre or bike. As your bike is 2015 I doubt that could be an issue, more likely a tyre issue. I would first of all stick to the OEM tyre pressures, measured cold 38/42PSI. If possible see if your local dealer has a demo bike with PR4GT fitted and ride it back to back with yours. Make sure suspension settings are the same on both bikes. If your bike feels weird compared to dealers then you know there is something wrong and its not you imagining it. Get your bike checked out by dealer and get mechanic to ride it and see what he thinks. Could just be you have a dud tyre. If you live anywhere near the West Sussex area, your very welcome to PM me and we could arrange a meet, and ride each others bikes and compare.

Thought OEM front pressure is 36psi. I am running 38 on advice from Michelin to stop cupping.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
Thought OEM front pressure is 36psi. I am running 38 on advice from Michelin to stop cupping.

2.5 Bar = 36.29 psi. So you're nearly right. Please don't take offence at my nit picking.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Have you balanced front wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote:
2.5 Bar = 36.29 psi. So you're nearly right. Please don't take offence at my nit picking.

Me offence - lol  8)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Oops  ;D  Not sure where 38PSI front came from, the correct pressure is 2.5 bar / 36 PSI. Thanks all for correcting my mistake.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

This subject has also been discussed at length on the EuroKclub forum, with divided opinion. I have always stuck with Michelin PR 3 and 4 GT on my previous bike, K13GT and now on my LC RT. I find it gives fantastic grip and handling in both wet and dry conditions. Re weaving/white lining, only very, very slight in the wet and then it depends on line width etc. Fine in the dry. As far as drain lids go, well, b.hazardous in the wet if you 're leaning over/turning on them with any tyre I'd guess! I've also stuck religiously to the recommended pressures of 2.5 F & 2.9 R.
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

Steve F. Yes wet manhole covers are B. Dangerous but I was saying "As if" on a wet manhole cover.