Forum etiquette

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
gogs01

Forum etiquette

Post by gogs01 »

STeinar has made an impassioned plea for forum members to think before posting. /viewtopic.php?t=8

I fully support his concerns that some "lighthearted" or "humorous" comments may be misinterpreted by readers. It may be that some members know each other and have "in" jokes,  but another few hundred potential readers may not understand that it is meant as humour at all.  I love humour, but we have to be careful when using it on forums - it's very often easy to misunderstand. Negative comments and "put downs" are not nice, not helpful and not necessary.

On the other side, I would ask that members originating posts, and particularly those seeking assistance with an issue, remember that none of us are psychic - you may know what model of bike you ride, how old it is, how many miles it has done and just exactly what was happening in the weeks / hours / seconds prior to your issue presenting itself, but no one else will. You have to give us enough information to have a chance of helping you.

I hope this comes across as intended - a positive message in support of the forum founder because I would like the forum to be a happy place where members can sing the praises of their machines and get help when they're less than perfect.  Let's all think before posting .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Jim

Re: Forum etiquette

Post by Jim »

Agree
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: STeinar has made an impassioned plea for forum members to think before posting. viewtopic.php?t=8

I fully support his concerns that some "lighthearted" or "humorous" comments may be misinterpreted by readers. It may be that some members know each other and have "in" jokes,  but another few hundred potential readers may not understand that it is meant as humour at all.  I love humour, but we have to be careful when using it on forums - it's very often easy to misunderstand. Negative comments and "put downs" are not nice, not helpful and not necessary.

On the other side, I would ask that members originating posts, and particularly those seeking assistance with an issue, remember that none of us are psychic - you may know what model of bike you ride, how old it is, how many miles it has done and just exactly what was happening in the weeks / hours / seconds prior to your issue presenting itself, but no one else will. You have to give us enough information to have a chance of helping you.

I hope this comes across as intended - a positive message in support of the forum founder because I would like the forum to be a happy place where members can sing the praises of their machines and get help when they're less than perfect.  Let's all think before posting .....

Thought we had discussed this, that post was from the 26th March its now the 20th April  :whistle: Has something happened again to warrant a thread revival ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
Thought we had discussed this, that post was from the 26th March its now the 20th April  :whistle: Has something happened again to warrant a thread revival ?

Well I for one have tried to be good.  Maybe not trying hard enough😀
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Confused...  I can't see anything either.  I guess though that everyone's threshold for when wit and general bonhomie becomes sarcastic and counter productive is different.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I blame Brexit  ;) 
Last edited by simbo on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I don't mind timely reminders to play nice. There is one BMW forum I can think of which can get plain nasty and I wouldn't want this one to go that way. :)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Levisp wrote: I don't mind timely reminders to play nice. There is one BMW forum I can think of which can get plain nasty and I wouldn't want this one to go that way. :)
Yep, know the one, been there, still got the scars!!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I, like the vast majority of members on here really do appreciate what Steinar has done in forming and running/moderating this RT forum in a very efficient and effective way. Yes, it was appropriate for him to politely remind us all about forum protocol etc, but with the greatest respect, I don't need any more independent reminders from other forum members as to forum conduct etc.
Needless to say, the written word never conveys feelings, emotions of the author accurately, but like all electronic. comms, emojis/emoticons additions do at least help, albeit slightly, to try and get the message intent and context across! Anyway, as a certain Mr Gump said, "that's all I've gotta say about that...!"😉🙂
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: I, like the vast majority of members on here really do appreciate what Steinar has done in forming and running/moderating this RT forum in a very efficient and effective way. Yes, it was appropriate for him to politely remind us all about forum protocol etc, but with the greatest respect, I don't need any more independent reminders from other forum members as to forum conduct etc.
Needless to say, the written word never conveys feelings, emotions of the author accurately, but like all electronic. comms, emojis/emoticons additions do at least help, albeit slightly, to try and get the message intent and context across! Anyway, as a certain Mr Gump said, "that's all I've gotta say about that...!"😉🙂

Well said, +1. Left school many years ago  :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote:
Well said, +1. Left school many years ago  :whistle:

You went to school and paid attention.  That's cheating
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

Here we go.  I think a couple of responses to the original post highlight the very problem with this forum.  There are a few people, and I suspect you know who you are,  who a) feel the need to respond to every post and who b) exhibit quite "Trollish" behaviour and c) act as if this whole forum belongs to them.  My answer to these people is that if you don't like it you aren't obliged to say something and if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Unfortunately it's always the few that ruin it for the rest.

I quite like this forum but i've been quite annoyed by some of the responses/comments i've seen and it does put me off from posting anything new - everybody is entitled to their own opinion but you aren't obliged to force yours on others.

Some of the responses to gogs01 post actually highlight the problem that he is talking about.  Again, if you don't like it you don't have to respond - just let it go.

Let the trolling commence . . .
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Masq85 wrote: Here we go.  I think a couple of responses to the original post highlight the very problem with this forum.  There are a few people, and I suspect you know who you are,  who a) feel the need to respond to every post and who b) exhibit quite "Trollish" behaviour and c) act as if this whole forum belongs to them.  My answer to these people is that if you don't like it you aren't obliged to say something and if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Unfortunately it's always the few that ruin it for the rest.

I quite like this forum but i've been quite annoyed by some of the responses/comments i've seen and it does put me off from posting anything new - everybody is entitled to their own opinion but you aren't obliged to force yours on others.

Some of the responses to gogs01 post actually highlight the problem that he is talking about.  Again, if you don't like it you don't have to respond - just let it go.

Let the trolling commence . . .

Sounds like someone has upset you.  Can't be responses to your posts as there are only 28 of them in a year.  If we all did that this forum would have died a long time ago.  Many of us have been owners for more years than we like to admit to and like to pass on our experience and even , god forbid,  sometimes our opinions.  That's what forums are all about. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I complained to the forum owners about the standards here, after a particularly 'bitchy' savage reply to a new post from someone with a few posts by someone with high volumes of posts.

Due to the type of responses and 'if you don't like it why did you buy it' style of replies, I now visit less regularly and think twice about posting.

If I wanted sarcasm I'd have gone to my ex wife.

Lovely forum, but like many, has been taken over by a few who think it's their given right to tittle tattle over any post, and don't even seem to read the original posts, before launching into abusive and opinionated comments.

In my opinion, we are no longer welcoming to new forum members, as they seem to have to walk some gauntlet of 'you don't have enough posts, so your comments are not valid' style. When they do offer a comment, it gets ridiculed, and they then give up.

We are all motorcyclists, and we are all RT and BMW fans, all of us have a valid and equal opinion and right to air, but when those comments are bordline plain rude, we have lost what makes us special as a group.

I try to consider if my comments can be misunderstood before posting, and if the post has been started by someone who has typed in with other than their native language, I refrain from making 'jokes' or anything that might be misunderstood.

Does this make for a boring forum? IF I want to get the sh1t kicked out of my thoughts , I'll go to UKGSER, or to the ex wife, this forum has become more unfriendly over time.

More posts does not always mean better posts.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: I complained to the forum owners about the standards here, after a particularly 'bitchy' savage reply to a new post from someone with a few posts by someone with high volumes of posts.

Due to the type of responses and 'if you don't like it why did you buy it' style of replies, I now visit less regularly and think twice about posting.

If I wanted sarcasm I'd have gone to my ex wife.

Lovely forum, but like many, has been taken over by a few who think it's their given right to tittle tattle over any post, and don't even seem to read the original posts, before launching into abusive and opinionated comments.

In my opinion, we are no longer welcoming to new forum members, as they seem to have to walk some gauntlet of 'you don't have enough posts, so your comments are not valid' style. When they do offer a comment, it gets ridiculed, and they then give up.

We are all motorcyclists, and we are all RT and BMW fans, all of us have a valid and equal opinion and right to air, but when those comments are bordline plain rude, we have lost what makes us special as a group.

I try to consider if my comments can be misunderstood before posting, and if the post has been started by someone who has typed in with other than their native language, I refrain from making 'jokes' or anything that might be misunderstood.

Does this make for a boring forum? IF I want to get the sh1t kicked out of my thoughts , I'll go to UKGSER, or to the ex wife, this forum has become more unfriendly over time.

More posts does not always mean better posts.

Agree with most of the above but I have an added bonus. I have an imaginary $h1t filter in my head which I turn on and off at will. This enables me to read the posts of interest but quickly scan and ignore the rest.
It's a bit like real life on this or any other forum, lots more decent folk, genuinely interested in your thoughts and opinions and a few who have the ability to 'get up your nose' who can quite easily be ignored.
Chris