Unusual Tyre wear?

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
mhr43

Unusual Tyre wear?

Post by mhr43 »

My 2015 Rt has had Metzeler tyres from new. Mileage is now 7000.
The front  tyre has worn very differently from the rear tyre Hopefully the photos show the difference. The front  tyre has developed a pronounced [attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5][attachimg=6]'ridge' either side of the centre line. The rear (last photo) has 'flattened' across the centre. I have not noticed any change in handling. Tyre pressures which are checked regularly, are in accordance with handbook recommendations. Advice/recommendations would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
mhr43

Re: Unusual Tyre wear?

Post by mhr43 »

Sorry text got mangled with the photos, which have appeared upside down!
However I hope the content is understandable.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

7 K is more than I got out of mine.  Rear wear is normal flattening in the centre with that mileage but there seems to be a lot of depth left.  If it's handling OK leave it on.  It might be though that you have just got used to it.  Front ones  often deform or cup.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Shows us a picture of your rear tyre. What sort of riding do you mainly do ? Motorways, A roads or curvy stuff.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

The last photo is of the rear tyre.  Riding is a mixture of  straight and twisty roads. Always solo,  15 Stone approx. Like to ride fairly  quickly!
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

The front looks to have some unusual wear on the right hand side from the picture? almost like lumps, The rear just looks a bit squared off but normal.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I think the photos are not sufficiently  detailed. The wear pattern on the front tyre is the same on both sides of the centre line.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Last photo rear. Got you. Just looks to me as tyres flattening off.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

These are what I was referring to, They look like lumps?

mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Yes I agree, but it is the same on both sides of the tyre and consistent all the way round the tyre
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

mhr43 wrote: Yes I agree, but it is the same on both sides of the tyre and consistent all the way round the tyre

My front PR3 looked very similar in the way it wore, I've upped the pressure slightly on my PR4's from reading posts on this forum about 'cupping' and they seem to be wearing more consistently, I've only done 1500 miles on the new ones so it's early days yet.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

My thanks to all those who responded. Your comments/advice has been helpful.
As I am off on a European tour in July, I intend to replace the tyres shortly . From suggestions on this forum I think I will choose PR 4 GT s.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

mhr43 wrote: My thanks to all those who responded. Your comments/advice has been helpful.
As I am off on a European tour in July, I intend to replace the tyres shortly . From suggestions on this forum I think I will choose PR 4 GT s.
Consider Roadtec 01s.  Stability is great and they look like they will last well.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

RTman10 wrote: Consider Roadtec 01s.  Stability is great and they look like they will last well.

I'll agree with that. You say the handling is still OK? Wait until the new ones go on then you'll realise how it has deteriorated.
I replaced the Z8's on mine at about 7K with 01's (must be HWM type) and it was like a new bike. Amazing.
LAF

Post by LAF »

My Z8's wore just as yours did.  At 7900 miles I had to take them off.  They hadplenty of tread but when laying it over on either side or working the bike through fast corners each way I was scared to death.  You could feel them going over those ridges each time.  Not safe and they had to go.

I ran Z8's before and my only knock was the rear wears down to cords with little to no warning as there are no sipes in the center of the rear tire.

I had a set of PR3's in stock and I am so pleased with them I can not express it.  They are just a pleasure to ride on.

Bite the bullet and change them out.  No sense riding on tires that you can not trust in a lean, and when you feel transition from side to side that much it is a safety issue to me.  I had no confidence and that is a danger riding if you do not believe your tires are going to hold in a lean over.

I can say I will never run a Z8 again as long as I live.