Unusual Tyre wear?

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Unusual Tyre wear?

Post by T6pilot »

I found on my 15 that the Z8's were good for 3000 miles and then started to cup
Switched to PR4's and never looked back
If the original poster got 7000 miles out of his Z8's he was darn conservative or lucky most on this side of the pond are lucky to get 4000 miles out of the rear tire
Jim
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My new bike came on Z8s and has now clocked almost 2000 miles. Next weekend I'm off on a trip which is likely to add 4000+ miles, so I have to hope that they get me home, still in one piece !
Previous experience, with oilhead / twin cam RTs, led me to come to love Michelin PR3s. They handled as well as anything else, gave confidence in the wet and lasted (much) longer than any other tyre on any bike I've ridden in the last 30 years.
As a bonus, the tread allows you to monitor wear right across the width of the tyre, unlike so many tyres which have no tread at the centre so can look worn when they're not and / or be down to the carcass before you thought they were "illegal".
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

gogs01 wrote: My new bike came on Z8s and has now clocked almost 2000 miles. Next weekend I'm off on a trip which is likely to add 4000+ miles, so I have to hope that they get me home, still in one piece !
Previous experience, with oilhead / twin cam RTs, led me to come to love Michelin PR3s. They handled as well as anything else, gave confidence in the wet and lasted (much) longer than any other tyre on any bike I've ridden in the last 30 years.
As a bonus, the tread allows you to monitor wear right across the width of the tyre, unlike so many tyres which have no tread at the centre so can look worn when they're not and / or be down to the carcass before you thought they were "illegal".

I agree - PR3s are still my favourite ever, though I never had them on an RT.  They were/are amazing tyres.

I thought the Z8s were ok and although I switched to PR4 GTs when the Z8s wore out, I didn't think they were that much of an improvement.

Mind you, on the GS it seems to be fashionable to slag off the OEM Anakees but I think they're alright too!  I'll probably give the new Roadtec 01s a go when the Aznakees die but only to see what all the fuss is about...
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

RTman10 wrote: Consider Roadtec 01s. Stability is great and they look like they will last well.
+1 RoadTec01s offer much improved feeling over the PR3/PR4/PR4GTs I have used. 

Re: original post, I have not had a set of tyres last 7,000 miles, never mind with tread left...  Consider yourself lucky!  Peter
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Wot Peter said - seriously impressive amount of tread left @ 7k miles.  Mine's still on the factory fit Z8s.  They are okay, but next time I'll have a go with PR4s as Michelins were so good on the K1300.  Bridgestones went square in no time.
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

LAF wrote: My Z8's wore just as yours did. At 7900 miles I had to take them off. They hadplenty of tread but when laying it over on either side or working the bike through fast corners each way I was scared to death. You could feel them going over those ridges each time. Not safe and they had to go.
I ran Z8's before and my only knock was the rear wears down to cords with little to no warning as there are no sipes in the center of the rear tire.
I had a set of PR3's in stock and I am so pleased with them I can not express it. They are just a pleasure to ride on.
Bite the bullet and change them out. No sense riding on tires that you can not trust in a lean, and when you feel transition from side to side that much it is a safety issue to me. I had no confidence and that is a danger riding if you do not believe your tires are going to hold in a lean over.
I can say I will never run a Z8 again as long as I live.
I don't wish to divert the thread from unusual tyre wear, however. As a newbi to the RT I am amazed at the fantastic handling. I have ridden sports bikes all my life and still ride a Norton 961. But I feel absolutely confident in and out of bends on my RT often to the point of almost running out of tyre, not that at 62 I push it to the limit, its just that it is so easy and sure footed to ride. The tyres I have fitted to my 2006 Rt are Michelin radial pilot road 2 180/55 ZR17 rear, and Michelin pilot road GT 120.70 front. Tyres have always been a matter for discussion/dispute and often are a personal choice.  I would be astounded if changing the tyres I have fitted could improve the handling.  Mark.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

mentalrental wrote: I don't wish to divert the thread from unusual tyre wear, however. As a newbi to the RT I am amazed at the fantastic handling. I have ridden sports bikes all my life and still ride a Norton 961. But I feel absolutely confident in and out of bends on my RT often to the point of almost running out of tyre, not that at 62 I push it to the limit, its just that it is so easy and sure footed to ride. The tyres I have fitted to my 2006 Rt are Michelin radial pilot road 2 180/55 ZR17 rear, and Michelin pilot road GT 120.70 front. Tyres have always been a matter for discussion/dispute and often are a personal choice.  I would be astounded if changing the tyres I have fitted could improve the handling.  Mark.

That's because you haven't tried Roadtec 01s yet.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Keep close tabs on the Z8 rear. They will suddenly wear through to the cords.
Steve
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Littlebriar wrote:Keep close tabs on the Z8 rear. They will suddenly wear through to the cords.
Just like this one, which would appear to have plenty of tread left.

Had the same problem with Z6's, expected to get a 1,000 miles trip out of it and ended up down to the cords.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Useful thread - thanks to everyone who contributed. I just had my 2016 RT in for it's first proper service - mileage just over 7k. I was a bit surprised when the dealer said I had unusual wear on the front tyre, with it flattening out. It's not something that ever happened on my GS so I wasn't looking for it but now I have the 'ridges' are pretty noticeable when I run my finger over it. There is still plenty of tread on both tyres but I'll be replacing them with either the PR4 GT or the Roadtec 01, depending on which my local tyre place can get in easiest.

Given that I was getting 10-12k out of the tyres on my GS, I'm a bit disappointed. But from what I have read in this thread I seem to have done pretty well to make it this far with the stock Z8s.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Like I said in response earlier, keep a close eye on the rears. The rears can very suddenly wear down to the cords. I checked them at about 8k miles and they looked fine. 300 miles later they looked like image below. I originally blamed the dealer who overinflated the tire during a 12k service but many have experienced the same thing.
Roadtec 01's are installed now and they handle great and look like they should wear well. We'll see.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
tire.jpg
Last edited by Littlebriar on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Littlebriar wrote:The rears can very suddenly wear down to the cords. I checked them at about 8k miles and they looked fine. 300 miles later they looked like image below. Many have experienced the same thing.
Yes, had the same problem with Metzeler Z6's, for this reason, switched to Dunlop RoadSmart 1's, which have a tread pattern whereby the wear can be checked in the centre of the tread.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Over 7k miles on my original set, don't wallow about, good, hard acceleration and cornering most the time, riding it like  I stole it, still reckon 2k left !!!

P.S. remind me, what do you use the brakes for ???
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

On my 05, I always keep my tire pressure at 42 - 43 as much as possible.  I know that many go below 40.  I have owned the bike for about 10 years now, and do not usually see any strange tire wear.  Now of course, my right hand is a bit aggressive and that takes its toll on the rear tire, but usually my tires get replaced at anywhere from 5K - 8K.  Though the rear contimotion that I replaced a couple of months ago lasted 5K, the front is at 7K.  They handled well at that pressure rating. 

For those that seem to be experiencing scalloping or strange tire wear, I would increase your tire pressure.  It very well may help.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Same problems on Z8s should have been dealt with my Metzeler long ago but sadly not :-( went to Michelin PR4s with at least predictable wear and now with RoadTec01 which are predictable and handle better than PR4s (in my view:-)) Peter
Last edited by Peter Baker on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.