Windscreen stuck it up position

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Windscreen stuck it up position

Post by richardbd »

David. wrote: Thanks for the confirmation, I'll stick to paying a month in advance by credit card and save £15.

If you do buy a 12 month Warranty up front, it can be cancelled at a later date and you get a pro rata refund, less an admin. charge of around £20.

For me, the most economical way is to pay per month for 7 months.

You have more faith in insurance companies than I do David.  I'd be far too worried that they've got far too many get-out options to ever risk your approach.

Thinking about it as objectively as I can, I just don't think it's reasonable to expect to get a 12-month warranty for a 7-month payment and all my experience with insurance companies is that you can't beat the system.

Once you've made a big claim using this approach (and had it settled) I'll be convinced but not before...

;)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Monthly policy
Means a continuous series of policies with no fixed end date unless lapsed or cancelled by you or us. If you have a monthly policy this will be shown on your confirmation letter."

"You can choose either:

1. an annual policy for 12 months, or
2. alternatively, choose ongoing, monthly cover"

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/War ... arrantyFAQ
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Sorry for diverting slightly here (oops) I'm guessing you have to have your bike serviced by an authorised BMW dealer to conform with their warranty T's&C's? If so? What's the cost of an annual 6k/12k/18k/24k service plus the £370 odd for the warranty?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

David. wrote: "Monthly policy
Means a continuous series of policies with no fixed end date unless lapsed or cancelled by you or us. If you have a monthly policy this will be shown on your confirmation letter."

"You can choose either:

1. an annual policy for 12 months, or
2. alternatively, choose ongoing, monthly cover"

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Warranty#_WarrantyFAQ

I think the word "ongoing" might be quite important here...

However, if your interpretation is right, I think when I need to extend the warranty on my latest bike, I'll just do it for every other month and save half the cost of a full year's cover...

:-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:What's the difference says I. 371 and cover starts in 1 month, 386 it starts today.
As it was a private purchase I paid the 386 for immediate cover. Never had the option before.
I have no reason to doubt what k9doc has posted.

Don't have an ongoing warranty, just pay for immediate cover if anything goes wrong.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Just to clarify;

I misled very slightly on the immediate 386 cover, which starts after 24 hrs. Not the same day.
The bike had to be upto speed with all due services carried out to BMW spec (my reading on that is not necessarily by a BMW dealer) but I wouldn't be confident at putting that to the test.

Have to say that if we pay serious money for the bike plus nearly £400 on a warranty why try to save the difference between a main dealer v independent service even if it's twice a year which I doubt in most cases.
The fewer possible 'get outs' for any insurance the better.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

To maintain the T&C's of the warranty, I take my RT to a BMW dealer, with the present usage, that's once per year.

It's a price I'm prepared to pay to run around on a 5 year old bike with a warranty.

If anything goes wrong, it's likely to be expensive, with labour costs themselves circa £100 per hour.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:I would think that if you tried to cover the bike again within the 12 months from when it was taken out it wouldn't be possible.
When the policy is cancelled after 7 months, will try to renew again before 12 months is up and see what happens.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

David. wrote: Don't have an ongoing warranty, just pay for immediate cover if anything goes wrong.

Am I missing or misinterpreting something here?

Surely, waiting until something goes wrong and then taking out a warranty is what might politely be called "gaming the system" but I suspect an insurance company might have a different word for it!

k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Have to admit that the cover within 24 hrs does seem wide open to abuse and can't understand why they have given the option in addition to the usual 1 month moratorium. They definitely are no fools so must think they have a system to beat would be cheats. Can't think what it would be though unless it's to turn every claim down in the first month anyway. That would work. (Said in jest just in case anyone official is snooping).The only stipulation is that the service record is upto date but that could mean 5999 miles or 364 days since the last service.
Chris
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

k9doc wrote:The only stipulation is that the service record is upto date but that could mean 5999 miles or 364 days since the last service.
I was told by a BMW dealer that you can go 7,000 miles or 13 months and maintain the T&C's of the warranty.

One two separate occasions, have gone 6,870 miles and 13 months between services.
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And he no doubt guaranteed you that if you had a huge warranty claim having done 7000 miles since your last service BMW wouldn't blink an eye.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I enquired with BMW warranty services for a friend who's bike was overdue it's service.

The reply was, "get it serviced, then come back to us and we will offer you a warranty."
k9doc
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: I enquired with BMW warranty services for a friend who's bike was overdue it's service.

The reply was, "get it serviced, then come back to us and we will offer you a warranty."
The point there being that any faults or issues would hopefully be discovered and on the record and the Insurers' backs would therefore be covered.
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

k9doc wrote: The point there being that any faults or issues would hopefully be discovered and on the record and the Insurers' backs would therefore be covered.

Got it in one.  It's a dead cert that any scheme you can think up to save a quid or two on warranty costs are only going to end up as no warranty.
My extended warranty last year costs £360.  Take off the price of Emergency Assistance and it brings it down to about £280.  Good value in my eyes if you look at most things that might just go.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.