Ever consider replacing the Keyless system with a REAL key?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
DrBud

Ever consider replacing the Keyless system with a REAL key?

Post by DrBud »

I've had several instances where the bike wouldnt recognize my key.  I've replaced the fob battery (2x) but this still happens.

I noticed that its less frequent if the bike sits in the sun for a while.  I have no idea how that relates.

My immediate thoughts would be to replace the Keyless system with a Regular Key, similar to my wife's F800ST.

Lacking that, I'd then just remove the system and use a regular key.

Any insights to this problem?

Thanks.

B
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Ever consider replacing the Keyless system with a REAL key?

Post by timminator »

DrBud wrote: I've had several instances where the bike wouldnt recognize my key.  I've replaced the fob battery (2x) but this still happens.

I noticed that its less frequent if the bike sits in the sun for a while.  I have no idea how that relates.

My immediate thoughts would be to replace the Keyless system with a Regular Key, similar to my wife's F800ST.

Lacking that, I'd then just remove the system and use a regular key.

Any insights to this problem?

Thanks.

B

You don't specify year and model of your bike?  In any case, I haven't heard of anyone doing this, and if they did it's certainly something the dealer would have to do and would not be inexpensive.  Keep in mind, your fuel filler cap is also keyless, so you may need to deal with that as well.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If we are talking about a keyless LC it's probably still under warranty.  You should be talking to your dealer.  Could be a low main battery problem as well, not the fod battery.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

This is one of the reasons I ordered my 17 RT with a key😉
No problems so far 👍
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Would be nice to know the year of the bike and if it is keyless ride?
If it's not keyless, as newer bikes all have of fob of some sorts for locking/alarm, there is a ring that recognitizes the chip in the key, they are known to fail
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I'm not sure replacing keyless is ever going to make much sense economically.

I'm on my second keyless bike now.  The first was a Multistrada, the second is a GS.  I had one problem with the MTS when the fuel cap wouldn't open.  So far the GS has been faultless.  The MTS I specified with it; the GS is a TB so came with it.

I wouldn't bother with keyless again.  After something like 30,000 miles on keyless bikes, I still think it's a solution looking for a problem.

My new car is keyless too and I think the same about that.  I really don't see what the benefit is...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Keyless is just another thing imported from cars, like central locking, which is slightly useful.  My car is also keyless and everything will function without the need to touch or find the fod.  On the bike it's just ignition and steering lock.  Jut a waste of time.  On my 1600 it stranded me when the battery went flat and there was no way to get the lock off.
DrBud

Post by DrBud »

Its a 2016 R1200RT.

Lately, Ive done a lot of experimenting.

1.  I have a "new-ish" top box that came with another emergency key.  (it too had a chip in it)
2.  I had been carrying my emergency key along with the fob.

so, I first removed the chip from the top box key; since it didn't go with my bike.  This improved the time it took for my bike to recogize my key, but there were still 1/2 dozen attempts before it would work.

then I removed the emergency key from my set, placed it in aluminum foil. and left it in the house.

Voila'!  works fine now.
===

My suspicions are:  The keyless fob system uses an antenna ring on the bike to active ping the R-C chip (RF-ID work on a capacitor-resistor pair) in the emergency key.  It does this with a time lag for response from the key.  Each polling of the key takes 3-5 seconds.  The more keys (or other items) wilth R-C chips, the longer it takes for the bike to sort through and find the one that works.

Im also thinking that some RF-ID devices are better transmitters and produce better signals than my keyfob.  Its battery powered, so, I would have thought it would put out a pretty strong signal compared to an RFID chip which is just a passive device.

====
All conjecture at this point.  Its working now and Im happy again.  :)

Oh.  Some batteries have date codes.  Try to get the freshest ones you can.

nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

Thanks for the reminder on other items may effect your success in using the keyless fob.

My company badge needs to be far enough away... I can't have both my PD access and my work ID on me otherwise neither place will let me in :-)  I'm about to start using one of those Mobil (speedpass) fobs for getting gas  - I suspect that will have to be tucked in some RF neutral bag somewhere which may just defeat the reason for wanting to use it.