Stepped back in time...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Stepped back in time...

Post by Sullivj »

Took my RT for its annual MOT today, which passed as expected.

I always enjoy visiting my local testing station. They weigh you and the bike, before pulling it towards the wall with a brake force measurer, that looks like it was made about 100 years ago!

Just look at their old school oil dispenser!

timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Stepped back in time...

Post by timminator »

Interesting.  Where I live in the states we have vehicle inspections every few years, but motorcycles are exempt.  Of course we still get to pay the department of motor vehicles for new plate stickers, but there's no emission or other inspection on bikes.
BMW MOA #210438
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

+1 on the interesting.

I don't recall ever having been weighed prior to the brakes being tested for my MOT.  (Though one MOT Testing place did write in the "items found to be dangerous" section of the MOT report my name!  ;))

Now I am living in Belgium, the annual motorcycle testing is over.  They Belgians do not have the equivalent of an MOT test.  For cars yes, but not for motorcycles.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very interesting about the brake test equipment.  Quite a few years ago my dealer installed the rolling roler type kit set in the floor as I understood that was now obligatory for the test along with all the computerised stuff.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

The scales are digital, but that's it. They weigh the front and rear wheels with you on the bike.

They then strap the bike to the brake force machine (straps around the forks) and ask you to apply the brakes in turn. As you do, they wind a handle which tries to pull the bike closer to the brake force machine. The dial reader needs to get to a certain point (dependant on the weight), without the bike moving, for it to pass the test.

As the tester noted the weight on the rear, he said "Christ, I'm not sure the machine goes that high"... Not sure if this was a reference to my weight or the bikes!!

They deal in mainly old classics, so it was a bit of a novelty for them to prod and poke the RT. They rather liked it.

Here in the UK, we have to have an MOT test every year, once the bike is 3 years old.  Unless your bike is pre 1960, then it doesn't need a test.

Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

In Suffolk there are no tests for bikes.
We just ride until the bike conks out.

Honestly :))
Bonwit

Post by Bonwit »

Here in Texas, we have to get an inspection every year, but no emissions test. In fact, my guy doesn't do anything, zero, nadda, zip. Just write him a check for $7, and get the paperwork.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

After a recent visit to a "local" test station my future choice would be to entrust my bike's annual inspection to a BMW Dealer tester. Fortunately, I do have a good knowledge of my bike's design and mechanical condition so when the tester omitted to check what I would have thought pertinent points such as Rear Wheel lateral movement and Front Fork play I was not too bothered as I do know that on my bike these particular areas are in good order. I paid my fee and left with my certificate but with a feeling of, "what about the chap who turns up with little or no mechanical knowledge of his bike".
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Our Gee wrote: After a recent visit to a "local" test station my future choice would be to entrust my bike's annual inspection to a BMW Dealer tester. Fortunately, I do have a good knowledge of my bike's design and mechanical condition so when the tester omitted to check what I would have thought pertinent points such as Rear Wheel lateral movement and Front Fork play I was not too bothered as I do know that on my bike these particular areas are in good order. I paid my fee and left with my certificate but with a feeling of, "what about the chap who turns up with little or no mechanical knowledge of his bike".
Umm, fair point but I've found the opposite where unscrupulous MOT stations "invent" a defect knowing that that the owner is none the wiser. They then offer to remedy the "defect" at extra cost. As an engineer of more than 40 years I have come across this several times. They look a bit sheepish when you ask them to show you the "excessive play" are whatever it is they've made up. Admittedly they're better than they used to be but I see the MOT test as more of an inconvenience than a reassuring independent test of my bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bonwit

Post by Bonwit »

B787MECH wrote: Umm, fair point but I've found the opposite where unscrupulous MOT stations "invent" a defect knowing that that the owner is none the wiser. They then offer to remedy the "defect" at extra cost. As an engineer of more than 40 years I have come across this several times. They look a bit sheepish when you ask them to show you the "excessive play" are whatever it is they've made up. Admittedly they're better than they used to be but I see the MOT test as more of an inconvenience than a reassuring independent test of my bike.

Sorry for the off topic, but I noticed your username is 787MECH. I'm a 787 captain for AAL, based in Dallas Texas. Wonderful machine!
Last edited by Bonwit on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Bonwit wrote:
Sorry for the off topic, but I noticed your username is 787MECH. I'm a 787 captain for AAL. Based DFW.LL Wonderful machine!
Hi Bonwit, I'm an 787 engineer at LHR! All the best to you, and hope your CAC never surges!

Bonwit

Post by Bonwit »

B787MECH wrote: and hope your CAC never surges
Lol!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

B787MECH wrote: Hi Bonwit, I'm an 787 engineer at LHR! All the best to you, and hope your CAC never surges!

Do you chaps all wear Boeing-branded suits and helmets then??

;) ;)
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

richardbd wrote:
Do you chaps all wear Boeing-branded suits and helmets then??

;) ;)
Only at the weekend! (Think we're getting a bit off topic[emoji3], must be careful!)

Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I went back today with another bike of mine, and took a snap of their old school brake tester - still in use.  They've even repainted the white line that you line your bike up!