Sargent Seat?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Sargent Seat?

Post by Rambler358 »

Has anyone put a Sargent seat on a 2014+ RTW?  If so, is it that much better than stock?  Any other comments on Sargent seats for the RT?
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Sargent Seat?

Post by smileymiley »

Yep,
Put front & pillion heated ones on my '14 & swapped them onto my '16 too. They're wider than stock seats so give more support, maybe not so good for the shorter legged tho. My wife says the pillion is far comfier than stock & has enabled her to significantly increase her riding time, she has lower back & hip problems 😕
As for me, definitely an improvement. Much more support, better seat position. The front is height adjustable the same as the stock. The heating element works great. Finish & fit are spot on.
Overall a good, if pricey, but worthwhile  addition
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

Awesome, thanks! [emoji106]
kiki

Post by kiki »

Just a few comments regarding Sargent seats-- I too have one on my '16 RTW. The width is substantially greater then stock, but more importantly, the seat is dished as opposed to crowned. Crowned seats are great for aggressive sport riding and short rides. They are also easier on your inner thighs at stops. However, they create hot spots on the center of your rearend and lack lateral support.
The one aspect of the Sargent seat that may be an adjustment for some is the firmness of the foam. The stock seat you tend to sink into, whereas the Sargent  firm. Sargent is frequently compared to Corbin here in NA. The advantages i have found to Sargent is, for me, the placement of the dishing. In other words, your butt tends to naturally migrate into an "average" distance from the bars. Alternately, I have found that Corbin tends to pull me farther back form the bars, reducing comfort ever so slightly.
Funny thing about Sargent seats-- the build quality is actually better than stock!
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

Thanks kiki - this is my first Sargent seat, but I've had Corbins on most of my other bikes.
WillPhelps52

Post by WillPhelps52 »

If I may... you say the Sargent seat is not a good fit for us short folk.  Do you know of one that is?

I have a 2017 R1200RT with the "Low" seat in the lowest position and still have one heel off the ground.  I only have 300 miles on the bike.. but I can already tell that a very long ride is going to be a major butt hurt.

I contacted two seat guys I know of and neither is willing to do anything.

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

This is good info!  I'm thinking about the same upgrade.  I find that the standard seat (2016 RT) means I slide forward which is, ahem, uncomfortable.  Also on the low position I get a really sore tailbone.  Keep the comments coming guys. 

My wife asked me a very good question:  'So, you bought this expensive bike last year and now you want to spend £800 on new seats?  How does that work?'.  Hard to argue.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Some have put some washers under the front bracket on the seat which apparently raised the nose of the seat to stop the sliding forward bit.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Good shout Casbar - I'll have a look at doing that.  Thanks
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: Good shout Casbar - I'll have a look at doing that.  Thanks

Think a couple on each side is enough and doesn't impact the screw that holds the bracket on.
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

BMS= bill Meyers saddles is building up 30 low seats for salt lake rally
He's located in Ventura ca

Jim
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

T6pilot wrote: BMS= bill Meyers saddles is building up 30 low seats for salt lake rally
He's located in Ventura ca
Rocky is now semi-retired, though he still builds seats at events and rallies. I don't believe he's taking walk-ins at his Ventura location anymore.
WillPhelps52

Post by WillPhelps52 »

So I'm a day late and a dollar short?  Not to mention vertically short.  Rats.

I went to the website and did a "contact us" email.  Maybe he'll still answer.

Thanks for the info, folks.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

WillPhelps52 wrote: If I may... you say the Sargent seat is not a good fit for us short folk. Do you know of one that is?
I have a 2017 R1200RT with the "Low" seat in the lowest position and still have one heel off the ground. I only have 300 miles on the bike.. but I can already tell that a very long ride is going to be a major butt hurt.
I contacted two seat guys I know of and neither is willing to do anything.
Your bike is almost new, so a lower suspension is out of question, since that is not cheap at all.
You may want to check if they have for your year/bike the extra low bench one piece seat.
That is as low as you can make a seat to fit the RT. My bike is a 2008 so had the option of buying
a used one, (much cheaper) shaved about 1" from the side, ( I find unnecessary to have the seat wide!)
carved in the foam to fit a sheet of gel pad, had it reupholstered, and I have the perfect seat for my
size and taste. Sargent didn't do it for me. I hope this helps!