Exhaust Pipe Flap Valve Thingy

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
MacJ

Re: Exhaust Pipe Flap Valve Thingy

Post by MacJ »

Fortunately its seized in the fully open position.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I understand it is to conform with EU noise levels .

Was it invented by VW then?

:alas:
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

richardbd wrote:
Was it invented by VW then?

:alas:

Well, it wasn't Subaru....
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:The exhaust valve does seem to be a problem. Unfortunately on the LC bikes the valve is part of the downpipes. On the previous model it was a separate part and much cheaper to replace or remove. Progress !!
On the LC, the exhaust valve is mounted in the vertical orientation, could this contribute to the problem of them becoming seized up.
Moisture (from condensation) & carbon will more easily settle around the lower pivot point.

On the TC, the exhaust valve is mounted in the horizontal position, haven't seen any reports of failures on here.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 08, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: On the LC, the exhaust valve is mounted in the vertical orientation, could this contribute to the problem of them becoming seized up.
Moisture (from condensation) & carbon will more easily settle around the lower pivot point.

On the TC, the exhaust valve is mounted in the horizontal position, haven't seen any reports of failures on here.

On other forums there are plenty of failures of the flap from TCs. But its mounted in a separate bit of pipe, so you can bit the pipe and replace with a bit without the flap.
SteveLindsell

Post by SteveLindsell »

I wondered what it was for! My 2015 LC runs sweet as but my dealer have informed me that the valve is stuck (common problem), being replaced on Thursday under warranty..........

Thank God! I had no idea at the value!!!!!!
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

SteveLindsell wrote: I wondered what it was for! My 2015 LC runs sweet as but my dealer have informed me that the valve is stuck (common problem),being replaced on Thursday under warranty..........

Thank God! I had no idea at the value!!!!!!

Lucky man. Mine is on the assured warranty which apparently doesn't cover this. Been at the dealer this morning and they'll let me know later today. They don't seem to feel that I will get it under 'Goodwill'.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

God forbid but the downpipes could always be replaced with some aftermarket ones that wouldn't have the thing  there in the first place. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon May 08, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote:
Lucky man. Mine is on the assured warranty which apparently doesn't cover this. Been at the dealer this morning and they'll let me know later today. They don't seem to feel that I will get it under 'Goodwill'.

Like I've said before, had mine replaced 6 months ago on my 2014, under good will, seems to be a dealer lottery as to if they do or don't.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Are warranty claims at the individual BMW dealer's discretion or always referred back to BMW Warranty Services?

My experience has been that the BMW dealer files a report to BMW WS and they answer yes or no, there is no debate with the dealer.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 08, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Always back to BMW unless it's a declared defect which is covered by a technical notice to all dealers which covers specific VIN numbers.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Love to know the criteria, some get them refused with newer bikes than mine, others get a new exhaust. Maybe its mileage related as well. Mine had done 6k when it was replaced, a mate has his done on a 2015 at 15k a couple of months back. Others have been refused
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Do you think it makes any difference whether you purchased the bike new or used from the said dealer or just take the bike to a dealership other than the one from which you bought it? Mind, if it's down to BMW Central I don't suppose it would. Does dealer input have any influence on how BMW Central would view a claim?
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

k9doc wrote: Do you think it makes any difference whether you purchased the bike new or used from the said dealer or just take the bike to a dealership other than the one from which you bought it? Mind, if it's down to BMW Central I don't suppose it would. Does dealer input have any influence on how BMW Central would view a claim?

BMW will know a bikes service history if any and the dealer would supply mileage and condition.  Any of them could influence their decisions.  Which dealer you took it to shouldn't make any difference.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon May 08, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Apparently each case is decided on 'Merit'. Casbar is obviously a person of 'Merit', I just hope I am. The same dealer told me that a few years ago when the Final Drive bearing on my GS went on the wobble. At that time I was refused.
A quick phone call to Pidcocks and I was adjudged to be of merit and the bearing were replaced FOC.
I wonder if its based on how the dealer puts the case to the Mothership.