Below 2k rpm noise - Update 1

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mac77

Below 2k rpm noise - Update 1

Post by Mac77 »

hi all. I posted about some noise I had below 2k rpm. This weekend, I gave her a polish and decided to check the plugs whilst I had the panels off. I found all 4 plugs were loose! On taking out, not one of the crush washers had been! All plugs looked healthy, so I re-fitted and torqued, took out for a quick spin and what a difference! A lot of the noise had gone. Still got a 'clunking' at idle, but she's in on wed for a valve clearance and TB sync. I'm off to France next week for a battle field tour, so wanted everything done. I changed the gearbox oil as well (how awkward is the sump plug access!). Gearbox a little smoother! Loving the bike now I've learnt her characteristics!
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Below 2k rpm noise - Update 1

Post by timminator »

Sounds like someone changed the plugs but only hand-tight, and then forgot to torque them.  Or they didn't have the right wrench and just got them as tight as they could with what they had.  Glad you figured it out.
BMW MOA #210438
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

timminator wrote: Sounds like someone changed the plugs but only hand-tight, and then forgot to torque them.  Or they didn't have the right wrench and just got them as tight as they could with what they had.  Glad you figured it out.

That was my thoughts
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Just back from having clearances and TBs done, idles so much better, initial pick up good. No chance to ride as it's throwing it down! She'll be on the road Saturday morning as I'm duty. Fingers crossed, it's smoothed her out