Rear wheel side play

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
JMC

Re: Rear wheel side play

Post by JMC »

Hello,
Finally everything was solved for the best.
After having a professional disassemble the rear disc and measure it, it was confirmed it was straight so we began to think that the problem was in the finish of the new flange and that it would need to be shaved by a professional.
Because it would imply to disassemble the entire differential, I decided to postpone it to another time.
However, after assembling the disc back to the flange, it all started to run straight.
Our best guess is that when bmwmotorrad repairshop assembled it there was some dirt or glue between the disc and the flange, which made one of the supports of the disc to be misaligned with the others.
I'm just glad it all ended well.
Thank you all for the advice.

Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Glad you finally got sorted in the end. It does cast a rather poor light on the people who assembled the thing first time. Not surprised though. I had a replacement rear disc fitted to a GS by a BMW Motorrad Dealer under warranty and they didn't even charge me for removing the paint from under the Final Drive at the point where the disc screws are tightened.
JMC

Post by JMC »

Yes. The mechanic is a good and competent guy but is completely overwhelmed with all the work because this BMW Motorrad dealer insists on having just one mechanic.My final drive, which is all new, already shows some scratch marks ... I think it's a real design flaw having the disc screws being tightened in that angle. One has to be very cautious not to scratch it.