Nav VI Initial comments and concerns

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
duckysan1

Nav VI Initial comments and concerns

Post by duckysan1 »

Proudly the first Nav VI owner on Vancouver Island, I thought I'd share some of my experiences with the device fitted to my 2016 R1200RT.  There is little point in discussing the physical installation as there are no challenges involved with installing the battery and clipping into the GPS mount (assuming Nav prep is on your bike).
First observation - not a new one - no ability to lock in place.  I'm not a fan of the Heath-Robinson solution of bolting a large plate to the top of the binnacle nor the arm used to prevent removal.  Other users have suggested removing the button...seems a practical but limited response.  Something better that incorporates a key-lock into the binnacle that internally prevents the button from operating is required.  Come on BMW, it's irritating to have to remove the Nav whenever you leave the bike.
The new screen is outstanding in its clarity, especially when directly sunlit.  I find the 2D display preferable as it's less cluttered.  The unit is responsive and accurate, but doubt whether there are many functional differences compared with the Nav V
Bluetooth pairing.  Be aware that a headset HAS to be connected (and first) if your phone is to connect.
Bluetooth integration.  I was advised by my local dealer that everything needs to be paired with the Nav, ie, headset, phone, and on-board.  However, my basic Sena SMH5 cannot be configured to listen to the bike's audio system.  And this is a real issue considering the product has a heavy emphasis on media streaming.  When connected to the bike, there is no option to stream from any other device other than the on-board audio.  I have been advised that upgrading to the Sena 20s or BMW communicator will resolve all this, but my pockets are not infinitely deep...
Wonder-wheel.  Very limited in functionality compared with the videos I have seen on the GS.  Only works when the Nav menu item is selected which is odd.  The GS wheel will operate the Nav irrespective of menu.
No ability to add favorite apps to the main screen.  I use a Garmin VIRB cam, and the remote control app is on page 3 of the apps screen, meaning several presses on the screen to get to it.  Cannot be accessed using the Wonder Wheel. 
Sadly, there is no 'My Motorcycle' option on my RT, but I understand that late 2016 and 2017 have the same functionality as the GS.  Disappointing as I really wanted a large MPH display for when I cross the border to the US. (why, oh why BMW did you not allow the digital display on the main instrument display to switch between Km/h and MPH???? - there's not even a secondary scale on the analogue speedo for crying out loud!)
Using with Garmin BaseCamp.  Slick and easy way to plan and upload short trips and extensive tours.  Top Tip:  make sure the 'exclusions' setting on BaseCamp and the unit are identical if you want to ensure your desired route is used.
Overall, I'm pleased with the Nav VI, but frustrated with the issues listed.  The majority require software solutions.  Physical locking will require some upgrade to the binnacle design.
I hope this stimulates some discussion!
guest2360

Re: Nav VI Initial comments and concerns

Post by guest2360 »

Only two observations on your very detailed post.  Yes you have to select what option you want on the wheel before it will work with the Nav.  On the GS though that's all the wheel does.  Many of the My Motircycle bits in the GS are already in the RT menu so it's no big loss.  Nice to hear the screen is an improvement.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Your frustrations have already been discussed at great length. As you say software tweaks cannot be that hard to do. As for lockable satnav many of us have been banging on about this since time began. Either BMW don't read what we have to say on forums or they just don't see it as a problem. Pity.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: Your frustrations have already been discussed at great length. As you say software tweaks cannot be that hard to do. As for lockable satnav many of us have been banging on about this since time began. Either BMW don't read what we have to say on forums or they just don't see it as a problem. Pity.

Sometimes its interesting how time and experience changes our perspective on an issue.

I was on the earlier complainers on here about that lack of a lock on the RT satnav mount.  I think it was either David or RTman10 who told me to get over it and just use the left-hand glove box and central locking.

Now I have a GS, complete with the OEM locking mount and I'd switch back to the RT set up in an instant.

I also think RTman's right about the My Motorcycle on the GS Nav5/6.  The RT already has all the info and after 6 months with the GS, I have yet to use the My Motorcycle page a single time.

Sometimes, we just don't realise what we've got!

;D
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:
Sometimes its interesting how time and experience changes our perspective on an issue.

I was on the earlier complainers on here about that lack of a lock on the RT satnav mount.  I think it was either David or RTman10 who told me to get over it and just use the left-hand glove box and central locking.

Now I have a GS, complete with the OEM locking mount and I'd switch back to the RT set up in an instant.

I also think RTman's right about the My Motorcycle on the GS Nav5/6.  The RT already has all the info and after 6 months with the GS, I have yet to use the My Motorcycle page a single time.

Sometimes, we just don't realise what we've got!

;D

Do I detect a slight twitching to get out of the dark side.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

A great first post and thank you for your observations.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
Do I detect a slight twitching to get out of the dark side.

Not in the slightest :-)

I picked the GS carefully because I was no longer doing an extended commute and much as I loved the RT, on balance the GS is more suited to most of the riding I do at the moment.  Inevitably there are bots of most bikes you miss when you move on.  With the RT most of the were to do with its refinement.  What I don't miss is the weight.

I'd have another though - and am always trying to convert people to an RT, whenever I get the chance...

;)
duckysan1

Post by duckysan1 »

Having just completed a 4000km road-trip from Vancouver Island down to California, I thought it would be useful to post a fuller review of the Nav VI.  Firstly, I will list my frustrations:

1.  Garmin VIRB (Action Cam) app.  This could even be considered a potential safety issue.  To access the app, one has to go to the home page (WonderWheel from Nav menu), manually press 'Applications', manually press the down-arrow three times, manually press 'VIRB.  The WonderWheel cannot do these operations.  Too many button presses.  And this has to be repeated EVERY time - so no using the wheel to check the Map screen and page back.  Simple, software solution (Garmin) - allow apps to be added to the home screen, or add a 'Favorites' page.  Allow the app to remain open as a separate page.  Best solution (will likely NEVER happen) - allow the WonderWheel to access the Applications screen from the home page.

2.  I was frustrated often that my route prepared and uploaded by BaseCamp was often ignored or modified, despite trying to set identical restrictions.  For every Way-point I had to review the route and compare with my plan.  Often I would have to start a new route, just to get onto the desired road.  Solution, ideally, have a setting that follows the BaseCamp instructions exactly.

3.  Only the items listed on my RT's Nav menu will work with the WonderWheel.  It would be logical if the WonderWheel worked all the time as a scroll device without having to select a menu item first.

4.  Media playing - already discussed at length, but please Garmin, give me the option to access my phone or the Nav VI internal storage.

5.  Bluetooth issues - I became so frustrated with my Sena SMH-5 that I bought a new Sena 20s whilst on the road.  Thus far, I'm very happy that everything links as hoped for.  The Nav's voice instructions no longer stop the intercom.  However, although I can now link to the RT's radio, the sound quality is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!  (I realize this is because BMW still used the old BT standard, but was astounded just how bad it is.

6.  Display - compared with my previous TomTom Rider, I found the display was not giving me enough advance information.  On a mountain road with switchbacks, I like to glance at the GPS to gauge the extent of the upcoming bend,  The solution is to zoom out manually.  I think the top info bar (showing the next road) can be disabled, and maybe this would improve things.

Enough of the downers!  This is what I like:

a) Snappy operation and re-calculation. 
b)  School Zone warnings
c)  Altitude reading
d) Live information
e) TFT very easy to read in direct sunlight.
f)  Weather information
g)  Fuel - distance remaining, low-warning and direction to nearest gas-station.

Overall, I'm impressed, although given the cost, I believe I should not have experienced some of the issues above.  What's your take on this?

tony23

Post by tony23 »

I think your frustrations outweigh the list of things you do like by a considerable margin. I have the V and won't be rushing to "upgrade ".
I do sometimes wonder, with all the "tech" available to us these days, that we loose sight of just enjoying the ride.
Not much help to you I'm afraid but it sounds as if your not too impressed and as such that offers valuable feedback on the new nav for us. Hope you get on with it better as time passes  :)

Twodog

Post by Twodog »

Great write up.  I've got a 17 RT, with Audio/BT.  Just purchased a C4 and Comms.  I've got my old 660 connected for now and was humming and hawing about the Nav 6.  Was going to pull the trigger this week and now I'm back to wondering if I really need it. All my audio come from Spotify on the phone connected to my helmet, 660 is front and center sooo.... could always get turn by turn if I connect the helmet to the gps.....

Makes no sense in today's day and age why this stuff can't be a little more 'connected' and just work properly.  Do I spend 1K on a Navi or... blow it on strippers and cocaine?  (That was a joke), the navi part. [emoji3]

When I connected my helmet to the bike and listed to the radio/Sirius. It did sound pretty crappy. So when even bother connecting the helmet to the bike just use your phone ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

I recently picked up a '17 RT, and I talked the dealer into getting the Nav VI at a significant discount.  I have to say the clarity of the new nav's display is worth the price of admission alone (IMHO).
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Rambler358 wrote: I have to say the clarity of the new nav's display is worth the price of admission alone (IMHO).

Got a VI, and agree - a lot better than my V .

Not so much other differences  V vs VI
Alf170

Post by Alf170 »

The auto skip function is the one that I wanted most so yippee.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Alf170 wrote: The auto skip function is the one that I wanted most so yippee.

From write-ups on other forums it sounds like it's auto-skipping quite a few things it's not supposed to - especially music ones!

Rossyuk39
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

Should you wish to, you can buy a linkage, central locking module and use that, taking a feed from the RHS locker to "lock" the NAV V / NAV VI onto the bike, yes if someone really wants to get the unit they'll force it off however, if its just whilst your refuelling, its good.

I have uploaded a pdf of the "SatNav central locking mod" onto the forum under the title Nav VI on central locking, I hope this helps people.

Rossy
Last edited by Rossyuk39 on Wed May 02, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on the grey bits .....Rossy