Windshield riding speed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Terry_RT

Re: Windshield riding speed

Post by Terry_RT »

I m also 4'2'' and I tend to have the windshield about 2/3rds up. The fuel consumption is indeed raised but I don't complain. I like air coming and cooling me, but some days it's really annoying, so I like sticking behind the windshield's quietness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
all these moments shall be lost, like tears in the rain...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You might like to reconsider your height .  😄😄
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

RTman10 wrote: You might like to reconsider your height .  😄😄

Agreed  :-)
He'd do better riding a race horse  :-)
Peter
Terry_RT

Post by Terry_RT »

pwbike wrote:
Agreed  :-)
He'd do better riding a race horse  :-)
[emoji23][emoji23] 6'4'' I mean!!!

all these moments shall be lost, like tears in the rain...
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

If you are running an RT windshield over 2/3rds of the way up most of the time, it is probably not tall enough to work as well as it could. While the linkage geometry on the RT helps some, the windshield still becomes more vertical the further up it raises. This doesn't mean it won't work, but on some designs it causes it to kind of stall the air a bit. I like that last bit of height only for extreme conditions like torrential rain or hail!
I might have tested a screen at 110 mph to make sure it raises and lowers without doing damage at that speed. A 26" tall one. On a closed course naturally......
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hmmm, this one made me think. We would each have a 'best' speed of our own I guess. With the standard screen, it is in the lowest position for most of the time. I get a clean airflow which is nice. For a slightly quieter ride it goes a third up. If I'm freezing it is fully up. One of the biggest factors is, I think, your helmet. Currently using a Shoei Neotech which I find to be brilliant. Other helmets has been far more noisy and prone to turbulence. In the past (not this bike) I've always found open face helmets to be much noisier and prone to turbulence.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sprintgull wrote: Hmmm, this one made me think. We would each have a 'best' speed of our own I guess. With the standard screen, it is in the lowest position for most of the time. I get a clean airflow which is nice. For a slightly quieter ride it goes a third up. If I'm freezing it is fully up. One of the biggest factors is, I think, your helmet. Currently using a Shoei Neotech which I find to be brilliant. Other helmets has been far more noisy and prone to turbulence. In the past (not this bike) I've always found open face helmets to be much noisier and prone to turbulence.

You're quite right.  People spend a fortune on various screens to get rid of noise or turbulence and most of the time it's the helmet that's the problem. 
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I'm 6'5" and have the high type seat in the high position to get a comfortable riding position.l find it difficult to settle on a good position for the screen. The standard screen was very noisy and turbulent for me and was best left fully down. Ive currently got a Wunderlich touring screen which is much better and is best used about 2/3 up for fast cruising (70mph+) and fully down for anything below that. Yet to use it in hot conditions but fully down produces a nice flow into my helmet vents. I use a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet  and custom made ear plugs and get little noise or buffeting but being tall if I duck my head right down behind the screen it is completely quiet and calm at virtually any speed. Being tall I've given up thinking I can achieve that at high speed. Haven't noticed any problem with fuel consumption, last time out it showed 56mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Haven't noticed any problem with fuel consumption, last time out it showed 56mpg.
Give it some and that will come down to a sensible figure😎
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

5ft 8" nearly always ride with the screen up about an inch less turbulence but also directs air to the rainx coated visor for a clear view. Tried other settings but lowest setting when I feel like spirited riding helps keep speed down, too high and I look through the screen which reduces vision. MPG as reported by bike between 49 & 62 averaged over a distance the former when riding with brothers the latter with my wife on the back and fully loaded (smooth is the key)

B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

RTman10 wrote: Haven't noticed any problem with fuel consumption, last time out it showed 56mpg.
Give it some and that will come down to a sensible figure[emoji41]
It's probably because I use good quality fuel! [emoji3]

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I use normal unleaded, don't fill up at supermarkets if I can avoid it, mainly because I get Avios at Shell. I've got the Werks screen, checked last week and got 54mpg, so I must be trying harder :)
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Casbar wrote: I use normal unleaded, don't fill up at supermarkets if I can avoid it, mainly because I get Avios at Shell. I've got the Werks screen, checked last week and got 54mpg, so I must be trying harder :)
I don't use Shell since they introduced the "helmet off " policy. Won't let you fill up wearing a helmet as you can't be identified on CCTV. Use BP now.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

B787MECH wrote: I don't use Shell since they introduced the "helmet off " policy. Won't let you fill up wearing a helmet as you can't be identified on CCTV. Use BP now.

Tesco don't make you either and then there's the points.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I'm a Shell man, good for the points and I have never been told to remove my helmet. Either that or Sainsburys (cheaper) but not local.
Avoid Esso at all costs.! ! !
I used to use a Shell station that went to Morrissons, same staff, but then I was told to remove my helmet, so don't go there anymore.