Anyone Using BMW's fuel additive?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Bonwit

Anyone Using BMW's fuel additive?

Post by Bonwit »

Anyone using BMW’s “Fuel System Cleaner Plus”? Talking to the dealer’s service manager the other day, he told me that BMW wants a dose added as part of the make-ready of my 2017 RTW. He said it had to do with providing some protection to the fuel pump (lubrication?). He also recommended adding this cleaner at the regular service interval. As a side note, he mentioned that his BMW regional rep considers the use of this additive when deciding warranty claims regarding the fuel pump (I wasn’t real clear on this point, but I was given the impression it was a big deal).

Contrasting this, nowhere in the manual do I see any mention of the use of this product. I’m sure its not a bad idea to run the stuff every few thousand miles, but he put much more emphasis on its importance.

I bought a bottle, and plan on using it, but I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on the importance of its use, specifically regarding the long-term health of the fuel pump. . . or is this just more dealership B.S.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Anyone Using BMW's fuel additive?

Post by Casbar »

Never added it on my 2014, only 9k so far, but should be nearer 12k in a couple of weeks. How would they know if you add fuel additive? If the fuel pump breaks not sure what fuel additive would have to do with it, haven't heard of fuel pumps being a major failure item. Sounds like marketing BS to me  8)
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

When I bought my 2016 RT, they handed me a bottle of BMW brand Injector cleaner and said to use it at 3000 miles.  The salesman handed it to me, but the guys in the service department swear by a different product called K100.  Hard to say how much benefit, if any, these things offer.  I run a measured amount through my bike every few thousand miles.  I figure it can't hurt.[/size]
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If it improves the fuel consumption, then yes it may be worth using.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All sales hype.  None of its recommended anywhere in any service schedule on a BMW bike.  It's car stuff. Ask them to show you something in writing.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Petrol cars & bikes use the same fuel and both have internal combustion engines.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes but where does it say in any RT. handbook that fuel additives is a good idea.  In fact I think I remember the opposite. It's all a waste of money that is best used to,purchase OEM service parts.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Using a fuel additive may indeed save service costs down the line.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: Using a fuel additive may indeed save service costs down the line.
[/quote

Where have you seen that.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Isn't premium fuels such as BP Ultimate fuel meant to do this.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: Using a fuel additive may indeed save service costs down the line.

Says who? Where is the evidence. I'd use additives if they were proven to work. Nobody in BMW has ever mentioned that I should use them.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Direct from BMW, TIS Technical Bulletin #13 05 06:

"If the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is unavailable, we recommend BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus (PN 82 14 0 413 341) be added to the gas tank."

Problems with carbon build up in the exhaust systems contributing to the exhaust control valve seizing up have been reported on this forum.

Together with fuel guage/strip failures.

The BMW FSCP claims to help protect against these issues and others.
Although motorcycles in the UK are not subject to emission tests at MOT's, (don't know about the rest of the world.)
I've see FSC's used to effect to get a car through an MOT emissions test.
FSC's claim to keep the fuel & exhaust systems sweet.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 15, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

What is top tier fuel then, is that super unleaded? So if you use that, do you not deed additives?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote: What is top tier fuel then, is that super unleaded? So if you use that, do you not deed additives?
[/quote

It relevant if you live the other side of the pond, not Europe. And anyway my bike doesn't have a "gas tank".
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon May 15, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Exactly, and from a few years ago judging by the web references......??🤔