Front Speed Sensor.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GuzziRick

Front Speed Sensor.

Post by GuzziRick »

Hi all just a bit of advice/help. I've got a 2010 RT.  Whilst riding on the motorway in the pouring rain this evening my break failure light suddenly lit up! I pulled off the motorway and tested my breaks as safely as possible and the seemed to be working fine. I stopped and had a quick visual but couldn't see any fault. I continued home and had a proper look and found that the front speed sensor cable had been rubbed/cut by the edge of the disc. Does anyone know how easy it is to replace and will the bike need plugging in to get the fault re set. Thanks in anticipation.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Front Speed Sensor.

Post by David. »

GuzziRick wrote:Does anyone know how easy it is to replace and will the bike need plugging in to get the fault re set.
The following info. has been taken from the Haynes manual.

The ABS sensor is secured by a screw to the fork slider.
The sensor wiring is held in place with clips on the slider & brake hose.
The fuel tank needs to be removed to access the connector on the ECU.

Any fault code arising from the sensor damage will have to be cleared from the control unit memory using a diagnostic tester.
GuzziRick

Post by GuzziRick »

Thanks David I'll give it a go this weekend if I can get the sensor tomorrow.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Just had a look on the Max BMW Parts Fiche and strangely the Front Sensor and Cable, although depicted do not appear in the  parts list. A quick look at the pre- Twin Cam fiche does however show that this item is priced at over $200. (Ouch). Would a repair to the damaged cable not be possible ?.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Our Gee wrote: Just had a look on the Max BMW Parts Fiche and strangely the Front Sensor and Cable, although depicted do not appear in the  parts list. A quick look at the pre- Twin Cam fiche does however show that this item is priced at over $200. (Ouch). Would a repair to the damaged cable not be possible ?.

It shows on Real OEM under the Brakes section on the second diagram.  $ price shown as 98.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Rainbow BMW have it listed as No. 11, Wheelspeed sensor, Part Number 34527677824, cost £76.01, https://www.rainbowbmw.com/BMWETK/Produ ... 402515.php

I don't use ebay but found this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/BMW-Wheelspeed ... 1925281094
Last edited by David. on Thu May 18, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuzziRick

Post by GuzziRick »

Thanks for the help gents, I'll give a repair a go and see if it can be reset next week if not I'll go for a replacement. Cheers