Billie brake light installation

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Fun little project tonight installing the Clearwater Billie brake light.  Don't have it connected to the CANOpener yet, ran out of time, but that will be a snap to button up tomorrow.  Only part I'm unclear about is how to best attach wire to underside of the rear fender.  I'm thinking a couple dabs of black silicon.  Photos before, during and after.

Attachments
after.jpg
wirepath.jpg
bracket2.jpg
drill.jpg
predrill.jpg
bracket.jpg
before.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
nh_handyman
United States of America

Re: Billie brake light installation

Post by nh_handyman »

Thanks!  Hoping to do the same over the coming months - just not sure if I'm going to go with some aux lights at the same time.  I've still got kids in college!
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Timminator:

Nice work!

I clean the inside of the fender w/alcohol and use a stick-on wire tie base...then wire tie it down:

Question: it's STILL raining here in NW Oregon...shouldn't your rear adjustable mud flap be in the fully extended position? lol....

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
timminator

Post by timminator »

rangemaster728 wrote: Timminator:

Nice work!

I clean the inside of the fender w/alcohol and use a stick-on wire tie base...then wire tie it down:

Question: it's STILL raining here in NW Oregon...shouldn't your rear adjustable mud flap be in the fully extended position? lol....

Ride safe!

Thanks for the tip, I have not used one of those tie bases before.  Regarding your other question, I must admit I didn't realize the fender *was* adjustable!  I rarely ride in the rain, so it's of little consequence to me, but good to know anyway.
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

nh_handyman wrote: Thanks!  Hoping to do the same over the coming months - just not sure if I'm going to go with some aux lights at the same time.  I've still got kids in college!
Love the Clearwater lights, they really make a quality kit.  The Billie is only $149 if you already own the CanOpener, but the riding lights are spendy.  You know, those kids have the rest of their lives to finish college, how many good riding years do you have left?!?  Priorities!  ;)
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

Does anyone know what this little panel is for (see red arrow)?  Looks like it could hold a reflector, but nothing was ever installed there when I got it new from the dealership.

Attachments
after.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

timminator wrote: Does anyone know what this little panel is for (see red arrow)?  Looks like it could hold a reflector, but nothing was ever installed there when I got it new from the dealership.

A full size (i.e. British) number plate covers these holes and they are used to secure the plate.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Attackpug

Post by Attackpug »

timminator wrote: Does anyone know what this little panel is for (see red arrow)?  Looks like it could hold a reflector, but nothing was ever installed there when I got it new from the dealership.
That's exactly what I did , Covered that spot with a reflector
Attachments
20170519_113605-1-1.jpg
Last edited by Attackpug on Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Me too, actually I bought a good quality strong adhesive reflective strip and trimmed it to fit.

Blueboy