usb port in radio control location (or other USB locations)

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Lokey1

usb port in radio control location (or other USB locations)

Post by Lokey1 »

I have a new to me 2013RT and was wondering if anyone has installed a USB outlet in the cover that goes over the radio control cutouts on the left of the fairing. Obviously it would need to be waterproof and align with one of the eight holes where the switches would go (if one had a radio). I discovered these holes when inspecting the bike and snapping the cover off. Sadly, I didn't get it snapped back into place properly and lost it somewhere on the freeway. A new cover set me back 30 bucks. I did get a USB connector that goes into the BMW socket on the left of the fairing but its a bit obtrusive and too far away from my phone mount. I think a better solution would be a dedicated USB port where the radio switches were. Possibly there's even a better solution for a dedicated usb port (for an android phone or camera). That said, even two USB ports would be a nice addition.
Last edited by Lokey1 on Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 R1200RT- the last of the oilheads
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: usb port in radio control location (or other USB locations)

Post by David. »

Lokey1 wrote:Obviously it would need to be waterproof and align with one of the eight holes where the switches would go (if one had a radio).
What diameter are the holes (8 off) in the panel for the radio switches.

Last edited by David. on Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

The radio button holes are 23.25 mm
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If a USB outlet cannot be found which will fit into the 23.25 mm dia. radio switch hole, could the cover be drilled to suit & the holes beneath adjusted accordingly.

Something like this idea.

Last edited by David. on Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

Yup - I was thinking the same. I hate to modify the stock holes for the next owner (after I'm gone), but if they wanted a radio, they'd be better off buying a bike with one as adding one later could be quite expensive.

Thanks for the photos!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Could always mount the USB socket here, doesn't look like a professional installation and if removed, can't be hidden by a replacement cover.

Last edited by David. on Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

That's a better location for me as I mount the phone next to the GPS mount right now and have to rout the USB cable around a few bits.
It would be nice to have a connector/mount that used the BMW gps connector and slip on mount/cover and even some of the farkley switches on the left side of the mount.
I don't plan on ever getting a BMW GPS as google maps works just dandy for my needs. Having all the GPS mount right where I'd rather have the phone is a bit of a bummer and I really don't want to remove the unit.
Does anyone know if there is a pin-out schematic of the BMW GPS mount or if a connector is available?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Lokey1 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a pin-out schematic of the BMW GPS mount or if a connector is available?
Are you looking for a power supply, if so, have a look at this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=32390#p32390
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

Thanks David, yeah, I found that link as well and is a great source for 12v.
That said, as I think more about it (dangerous),I'd really like to cook something up that would use the GPS mount which I will never use and is in the way of my current clamp-on phone mount.
There's a nice snap on cover over the GPS pinouts which I believe I could mount my phone to using neodymium magnets (I already do this in my vehicles and it works great).
If I could find a good diagram of the pinouts that's not in German, and possibly the female connector that would fit inside the cover, that would be sweet. I'm thinking I could modify the cover and add a very short mini USB which would be wired to the correct pinouts and have a very useable set-up.
Here's a shot of the pins I am referring to (pic borrowed from google)

I'll be away from my computer for the rest of the week but will be checking back in as soon as I can in case someone comes up with some suggestions.

Jim
Last edited by Lokey1 on Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Would some continuity checks between the 3 pin power plug and the GPS mount pins solve the mystery.

I believe the red wire is +ve and the black wire is -ve, centre purple wire not needed.

Last edited by David. on Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

I suppose I could use a meter and just start testing the pinouts as that's what I'm trying to achieve - a connection at the gold pins directly on the GPS mount.
The plan would be to find the proper connector that would fit those gold pins and modify the cover to have the opposite connector. From that, I would fashion a mount that would hold my phone and either have a very short mini USB cord or a mini USB hard mounted to the cover.

Snap the phone to the cover, snap the cover into it's cradle on the stock GPS mount. I know it sounds like a lot of work just to get power to a phone but it makes sense to me.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Lokey1 wrote:A connection at the gold pins directly on the GPS mount.
The plan would be to find the proper connector that would fit those gold pins and modify the cover to have the opposite connector.
It'll be very interesting to see if a cover (female) is available to fit the pins (male).
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

So far, I've had zero luck and may end up making a simple connector that touches the correct male pins just to power the phone.
Mini-B pinouts are easily found on google.
Here is the closest diagram I have found - sadly it's lacking the labels for the pinouts. I'll just find the 12v and ground with a meter.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Lokey1 wrote:Here is the closest diagram I have found - sadly it's lacking the labels for the pinouts.
Yes, saw that diagram too, it's not very clear and when you read the appropriate thread about it, it's all very confusing.
Lokey1 wrote:I'll just find the 12v and ground with a meter.
I read somewhere that it's only 5v at the pins, something inside the mount reduces it from 12v.
Last edited by David. on Tue May 23, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokey1

Post by Lokey1 »

Just checked 'em - nothing over .06 when it's running. zero when it's not.
There may be some internal stuff going on that needs two pins connected to change output to another one but without a diagram, I have no idea and the choices are nearly endless if I were to try some guessing.
Without the diagram (possibly quite proprietary) I'm in low doubts.

Oh well.