Weeping Water Pump

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
BackAtIt53

Weeping Water Pump

Post by BackAtIt53 »

I have 7106 miles on my 16 RT. Was doing my weekly rag down and clean up when I noticed a light blue trail down the left side case emanating from the weep hole above and forward of the cylinder jug. Fluid level checked out just fine, and she never got any hotter than normal. Questioned my dealer, who stated that there were some bad seal issues with some of the 14's, but thought the problem had been resolved, as he hasn't seen this in a while. Oh well! A new pump is being installed this Friday under warranty. I am just curious if any of you have had a similar experience?
Stay safe, enjoy your day.
8)
Oh the places we will go
Shinyface408

Re: Weeping Water Pump

Post by Shinyface408 »

An ongoing problem me thinks, my March 16 GSA and a friends 16 RT have both had new pumps ....... :alas:

Shinyface  ;)
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

My local dealer, Lovetts, said that if I see a tell-tale witness from the water pump drain, then they will undertake a pump change, despite BMW having a different view on all this! Prior to this advice I have noticed a small witness from the drain hole which I wiped away, and have seen nothing more since.
Crater

Post by Crater »

Just to add to it my 2 year old bike had its annual service yesterday and the dealer pointed out the telltale leak on the left side of the crankcase. It will be in next month for remedial work under warranty. Must check water levels in future......
LAF

Post by LAF »

I had this at like 489 miles.  Dealer said let it go and if it continues he would replace the pump.  I wiped it off and in 10,000 it has not ever done it again.  Odd how this weep thing works.  Worse on the 1600's from what I read.  I was in no hurry to have the front of the new motor pulled open at 489 miles and the dealer agreed.  Image
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Normal thing with this is that you can get a small amount of misting through the hole that always looks worse than it is but the levels normally don't drop.  After some miles from new the pump seals itself and that's the end of it. 
Seems to be very little discussion on the subject so it's probably something that happened on earlier build bikes. A trip over the Alps fixed mine.