Final Drive Oil Change

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Frank123

Final Drive Oil Change

Post by Frank123 »

Hi my 2009 RT with 56k miles is telling me that a service is due. When I rang my local dealer he said that an oil change on the Final Drive is due. Haynes Manual says that this is at owners discretion. There is no leak, strange noise, etc. Is he being too generous (with my money)?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Final Drive Oil Change

Post by T6pilot »

Short answer NO
Most models call for a change every 12000 miles, excellent time to check for unusual wear, bits of metal in the used oil, you don't want to be out on the road with a final drive failure
Here's were the liquid cooled bikes really excel, the final drive is so simple to change that many of us change it at each oil change( do it yourself types)

Jim
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On my 2007 model, the oil in the final drive unit was changed at the running-in check & never again.

Can't see anything in the Haynes manual or BMW maintenance schedules to say otherwise.

Looking back at this thread would seem to confirm that this is the case, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1

If you do decide to go ahead and change the FD oil, there is a nice video in the above thread.
Last edited by David. on Sat May 20, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: On my 2007 model, the oil in the final drive unit was changed at the running-in check & never again.

Can't see anything in the Haynes manual or BMW maintenance schedules to say otherwise.

Thought that was only on the 05 and possibly 06.  Easy to tell.  Early ones didn't have a drain plug on them.  If there is a drain plug it's every 12k.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat May 20, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Not having taken a close look at the WC final drive set-up I would be interested to hear how an oil change on this model is, as T6 Pilot says, a simpler task. I myself change the oil in our Twincam every year. Even though this can be accomplished without dropping the drive down through 90 degrees (drain plug at bottom) as was the case with our previous Hexhead I still do this in order to have a good look at the rear shaft joint and to clean and lube the rear shaft splines. All pretty straight forward.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On further investigation, it is true to say that post 2008 models do indeed have a drain plug.

Equally as important, does it have a fill plug, or will the speed sensor need to be removed to add the oil.

Although the Haynes manual or BMW maintenance schedule don't refer to a service interval, on the TC's it's every 2 years or 12,000 miles.

As your bike is 8 years old, if the maintenance schedule has changed, then yes, it would be due.
Last edited by David. on Sat May 20, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On the latest LC's (WC) the fill plug is outboard of the disc & wheel, making access easier to that of the TC.

R1200GSW Final Drive Oil Change, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXcEGv1tUXU
Last edited by David. on Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

2014 + LC bikes final drive oil is very easy to change. Takes 180 ml. Cost about £3 to change. Book says every 12K I do mine with engine oil change at 6K. I'm a great believer in regularly oil changes. If you think about it the final drive has a lot of work to do with a small amount of oil.
Attachments
IMG_0293.jpg
Bevel Gear Oil Change.pdf
(520 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Last edited by Levisp on Sat May 20, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Although the frequency of Final Drive failures do now seem to be of the past it might be worth carrying out oil changes on a regular basis. Also bear in mind that when failures where a more common problem it was the main "ball" bearing that failed and that this component does not run in the oil bath like the crown wheel, pinion and the offside roller bearing. (Confirmation needed). Having said that, it could be reasonable to assume that any deteriation of bearings which do run in the oil bath could influence the condition of the remote near side ball bearing. What do you think. ?
LAF

Post by LAF »

I am also in the camp of changing FD fluid on every oil change.  No other reason but it is so easy and I want to make sure nothing is going on by inspecting the magnet drain plug.

I am not as scared on the RT FD as I was the LT.  I had a 8 mile trike FD that I carried to New England to have it shimmed by a knowledgeable person then kept it boxed with a few tools that were needed to change it out on the road.  When I traveled I gave it to my sister so if I called she could overnight it to where I was so I could install it and not be stuck.  Never had an issue with the LT FD but many did. 

I have not heard of one failure on a Wet Head RT so I think we are good there. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree I think BMW have cured the FD issues with the LC bike. I had 09 GS and sold it after the third bearing failure. Each lasted only 6K miles. BMW did the work.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I must have been lucky with the two LT,s I have owned. Over 40,000 miles of LT riding and never a problem with anything including final drive issues. Compared to our RT experience the LT,s where the epitome of reliability, but as I said, it could all be down to luck.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Many thanks for your responses. I'm convinced! I'll get the FD oil changed.