Autocom help please

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BBT600

Re: Autocom help please

Post by BBT600 »

Thanks fella`s, I`m going over to Robsons this afternoon to have it tested, I`ll let ya know how I get on.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BBT600 wrote:Thanks fella`s, I`m going over to Robsons this afternoon to have it tested, I`ll let ya know how I get on.
You're very welcome, Kevin at Barrie Robson BMW is spot on, look forward to hearing how you got on.
Last edited by David. on Tue May 23, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

So, Kevin (nice chappie) tested my autocom and found it was working ok. However, he advised that I`d probably be better off buying a pair of quality Bluetooth headsets which would pair with my Garmin. By the time I`ve bought 2 x Autocom headsets and the Garmin audio lead I`ll have spent around £150.00 ish. I`m tending to agree with him. I briefly looked into the possibility of Autocom kit on ebay, but the amount and range of stuff available leaves too many possibilities for a mistake. Any comments or further advice welcome. I`m gonna think and research for a day or so before deciding.

:-\
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for the feedback.
BBT600 wrote:He advised that I`d probably be better off buying a pair of quality Bluetooth headsets which would pair with my Garmin.
With BT headsets, can the Garmin sat. nav. instructions be heard by both rider & pillion.

I'm not clued up on BT, looking back at this thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=9782#p9782
suggests that, "if your pillion also wants to listen to your iPhone music/satnav you will need a bluetooth splitter."

Not sure if the same applies to a Garmin 340 sat. nav.
Last edited by David. on Wed May 24, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

I think that the GPS can be heard by both headsets if both are paired with it, but I`m not 100%. Regarding music and pairing with further phones/MP3 players - I think its possible but I`m far from 100%.
Another factor for me to consider is the Autocom connecting lead. I`m so clumsy and forgetful that this could be a disaster waiting to happen, so bluetoof it is. Research is needed !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A GPS will only pair with one headset.  Some headsets allow the second one to,get what the first one does but I'm not sure how successful such systems are.  Your phone will definitely only pair with one.  Top,of the range BT kit will empty your pocket much more than an Autocom system and is sure to have a shorter lifespan. Some will tell you BT sound quality is better than a wired system.  They lie. If you are forgetful enough to unplug a wired system when you get off you will also probably be the same with turning off a headset. Coiled leads now fitted on Autocom mean you know a long time before anything gets yanked off that you are still connected.  Flattened batteries in a headset take a bit longer to sort out.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BBT600 wrote:Another factor for me to consider is the Autocom connecting lead. I`m so clumsy and forgetful that this could be a disaster waiting to happen.
It would be nice not to be hardwired to the bike, however, another thing to consider is the battery life of BT units, not a problem with an Autocom system powered off the bike.
Last edited by David. on Wed May 24, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: A GPS will only pair with one headset.  Some headsets allow the second one to,get what the first one does but I'm not sure how successful such systems are.  Your phone will definitely only pair with one.  Top,of the range BT kit will empty your pocket much more than an Autocom system and is sure to have a shorter lifespan. Some wil tell you BT sound quality is better than a wired system.  They lie.

I can say, BT is a good as wired (well mine is),having owned both. You can pair a phone with both BT headsets if you wish, I quite often have my phone paired to the Nav and to my BT headset. Simply because I ride different bikes which have different Nav, so if on my own, phone goes through Nav V, if on another phone goes direct to the BT unit. If the phone rings, you can answer on either, one will take priority. I also have my phone paired to two different BT units, each unit is separate in its own right, so your phone will pair to both. I have never tried to share Nav between myself and the pillion, but you can share music quite successfully. As for how long they last, that is debatable, my last set lasted for 6 years, before one gave out, I then sold the remaining one and bought a new set. Technology moves on, so having a new setup is always good. The advantage of not being wired to the bike for me wins over. But each to their own. Autocom is a very good system, but for me I need to ride lots of different bikes, so being easily able to swap the BT unit to different helmets works better for me.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So when the phone goes off you both get connected and are able to have a 3 way chat.  That for me was great as I could just listen in and the wife could rattle on. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BBT600's Autocom Active-PLUS is "quite an old unit", but proved to be still working OK.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: So when the phone goes off you both get connected and are able to have a 3 way chat.  That for me was great as I could just listen in and the wife could rattle on.

Bit hazy on that one, I've never taken a call whilst she was on the pillion, but can do some experiments and let you know what happens :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BBT600 wrote: So, Kevin (nice chappie) tested my autocom and found it was working ok. However, he advised that I`d probably be better off buying a pair of quality Bluetooth headsets which would pair with my Garmin. By the time I`ve bought 2 x Autocom headsets and the Garmin audio lead I`ll have spent around £150.00 ish. I`m tending to agree with him. I briefly looked into the possibility of Autocom kit on ebay, but the amount and range of stuff available leaves too many possibilities for a mistake. Any comments or further advice welcome. I`m gonna think and research for a day or so before deciding.

:-\

Nice chap Keven seems to have got his wires crossed a bit with the GPS pairing.  A Garmin will,only ever pair with one .  I do agree that spending £150 on headsets for the Active Plus would not be sensible but did he give you the difference between a (quality)BT set and a complete new Autocom system.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is the Interphone BT Splitter, https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/325656.

"By plugging this into your MP3 player or other audio device you can transmit the audio output to two different Bluetooth devices by pairing each one individually to the splitter."

If the Garmin 340 is considered as "an audio device", this might solve the problem of pairing to two BT headsets, might be worth a phone call.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Casbar wrote:
Bit hazy on that one, I've never taken a call whilst she was on the pillion, but can do some experiments and let you know what happens :)

Mr Cardo support says do not connect your phone to two BT units at the same time, or you will be launched into Space. But you can connect to Nav V and BT unit, because I do.
BBT600

Post by BBT600 »

Hi guys, just a quick update. I bought a Sena 05 headset £80.00. The correct process is to pair the sena with Garmin, then pair sena with pillion headset. Boom - it works fine, giving priority to the Garmin . We are half way through our summer tour, basking in Côte d'Azur sunshine without any fallouts or garmintantrums 👍