rt 2013 headlight bulbs

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Cas21

rt 2013 headlight bulbs

Post by Cas21 »

hi all,
Just returned from a great ride down to the French Alps but have managed to blow both headlight bulbs on route. Only carried one spare, so not a disaster, just a pain as well as the "challenge faced" changing them.Any recommendations for longer lasting brands that actually do last longer?
GuzziRick

Re: rt 2013 headlight bulbs

Post by GuzziRick »

On my previous bikes I always used to go for the brightest l could find such as the Osram night breaker, they produce a really white light and much brighter than standard but would only normally get 6 months out of them. I eventually changed to Phillips longlife and they are still ok after about 2 years. Haven't had a bulb blow in the RT yet but it's sounds like it can be a pain to change so I think I'll go with the long life and forgo a bit of brightness.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Cas21 wrote: hi all,
Just returned from a great ride down to the French Alps but have managed to blow both headlight bulbs on route. Only carried one spare, so not a disaster, just a pain as well as the "challenge faced" changing them.Any recommendations for longer lasting brands that actually do last longer?

I used Osram Rally 65W H7. They are ever so slightly above the legal limit of 60W and seemed to last very well on my last RT. I assumed with a name like "Rally" they might be "rough-service" bulbs.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Bit surprised you didn't get a warning from the Canbus if you were not using the 55w bulbs. Exceeding the set limits can result in a shut down which you definitely don't want on lights.
Jim130
Bike Model and Year: 2014 RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Jim130 »

I fitted 55w hid r, bright and lasting pretty well 20k and counting
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

2014 r1200rt headlamp blew today.  I'm on a trip tomorrow so I had to hit the Auto Zone for a replacement.  They carry the Sylvania Basic H7. The base is marked Osram (which appears to be the same as Sylvania.  It's a 12v 55w bulb and the package graphic shows the color as a yellow(ish) beam.

Does anyone know if this is compatible as the standard BMW replacement?  or is there a much more expensive bulb that the dealership would have installed?

I paid $28 for a two pack.  The 2014 has one low beam and two high beams.  I saw a vid online that showed replacement instructions for a 2013 and I think it showed two low beams and one high beam.  I hired a monkey with three elbows to reach the bulb and replace it. Could they have made it any more difficult?

Back to the question.  Does the color spectrum seem to make a difference?  I read an article stating that a yellow beam is closer to a daylight spectrum and is less confusing.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Barnes1210 wrote:2014 r1200rt headlamp blew today.

The 2014 has one low beam and two high beams. I saw a vid online that showed replacement instructions for a 2013 and I think it showed two low beams and one high beam.
Was the blown bulb a low or main beam one.

I think the centre is low beam (H7/55W @ $18.86) & the 2 sides are high beam (12V 55W H1 @ $11.68 each).

"The main headlight unit in the centre is flanked by two high-beam headlights on the left and right."

H7/55W

12V 55W H1
Barnes1210 wrote:Does anyone know if this is compatible as the standard BMW replacement? or is there a much more expensive bulb that the dealership would have installed?
If it was a low beam H7 55W bulb, then yes the BMW dealer would have charged $18.86, a two pack cost $28, i.e. $14 each.
Last edited by David. on Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cas21 wrote:Managed to blow both headlight bulbs.
I was confused.com, the OP refers to a 2013 TC, which indeed does have two (L&R) low beams & one centre high beam.

All three bulbs are H7/55W, same as the one centre low beam on an LC.
Last edited by David. on Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

In an 2005 model
During my trip to Europe this Easter ended up with no light at all .. both bulbs blow up.
Went to a market and bought a cheap pack of two bulbs .. was less then 10 euros or something ..

I didn't check the specification, just H7 lets go ....

Reading this post makes me feel like i did something wrong.
Must say after installing the bulbs both day light i think this is the name , the ones in the corner died as well.

haven't changed yet as planning to pt LED in there.

SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sepossivel wrote:In an 2005 model.

During my trip to Europe this Easter ended up with no light at all .. both bulbs blow up.

Reading this post makes me feel like i did something wrong.
What do you think you did wrong?

Never had two low beam bulbs blow at the same time. When one has gone, it usually occurs on start up, when pressing the button.
sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

David. wrote: What do you think you did wrong?

Never had two low beam bulbs blow at the same time. When one has gone, it usually occurs on start up, when pressing the button.

Have no idea

They didn't at same time.. But i ended up with none one week difference .. was ridding at day light so didn't bothered .
Ad the bulb its a pain to change .. so i kept going till both blow up then i was forced to change it.

SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sepossivel wrote:Ad the bulb its a pain to change .. so i kept going till both blow up then i was forced to change it.
Ah, sorry for my misunderstanding, thought both bulbs had blown at the same time.
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

Thanks David, for responding.  It was the center bulb. The low beam.  It's strange because oncoming drivers had been flashing headlights at me for two days.  Then on day 3 the warning indicator finally comes on telling me that the bulb had blown.  I can only guess that the bulb was failing and may have been working intermittently, hence no warning indicator.  I guess most H7 55w bulbs are the same(?).  It does seem that there is some beam color difference offered by manufacturers.  Discussion threads that I've read seem to indicate that the fashionable white, and blue light doesn't last as long as standard.  I'll stick with original specs.  Changing that bulb once every two years should be enough to satisfy anyone.