Finally, I give up...

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Finally, I give up...

Post by timminator »

Sorry to see you go, Richard.  I was a newbie on this forum about a year ago, and I know you answered several questions I posted.  While I have only been here a year, I have noticed a shift in the "sensitivity level" of some, evidenced further by the rebuke we all got from Steinar.

I know I have posted what seemed like dumb questions to some, and I've gotten my share of smart-arse responses, but to me that's how forums work. Hope your departure is not a trend, I'd hate to see this forum dwindle away.
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: This is a tough one. I moderate another forum with about 1,500 members., and often run into difficulty in censoring inappropriate posts.

The trouble with 'banter', is that it's quite hard to define. 'Banter' to one person, can be seen as abuse by another. Jokes between friends are also difficult within forums too, especially when the forum members are in different countries. These jokes don't always translate well.

My own rule tends to be 'Would I say it to a stranger I'd just met?'. If not, I try and reword it.

Some of the posts on here have been nothing short of rude. When I've made a report of those, ive been very impressed at how quickly action has been taken

Thats half the problem, what gives anyone the right to report some one else post unless the person reporting has been offended personally. Otherwise you are self moderating on behalf of others, who as you say might not find it rude or offensive. I quite find it difficult to understand when people have to post to say "I have reported this or that post" Like that deserves a pat on the back. Its an online forum if someone is upset with something some else has posted, why don't they just PM them and sort it out.

Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I don't want to explain the context of the two I've reported, but if I did, I think you'd agree with me.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: I don't want to explain the context of the two I've reported, but if I did, I think you'd agree with me.

Like you said, you wouldn't post anything that you wouldn't say to someone you met. I have met you, and you seemed a sensible guy, so its not a dig at you and everyone can make their own decisions. Its a difficult thing, forums and keyboard warriors  often get out of hand  8) 8) 8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sullivj wrote: I don't want to explain the context of the two I've reported, but if I did, I think you'd agree with me.

I know one of them, you told us.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote:
I know one of them, you told us.

I wonder if anyone's getting paranoid thinking it might be them?  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

So what if someone doesn't agree with the colour choice of your bike, or the fact you've seam welded ironwork to the frame to protect the sticky out bits, the choice you made is yours, you did it because you decided it was right for you.  Everyone doesn't live in the same pocket, individuality is what makes us and that goes with comments too.  Just because someone disagrees with your decision and makes comment doesn't make them a bad person.

We come one way through this life, it is not a drill.  We all encounter things we don't like in our travels, but please don't stereotype the few who wish to have non insulting banter by throwing your teddy's out of the pram and running off to tell mummy of the nasty person who said bad things about your bike/trip/gear/accessories etc.

If you're old enough to ride, you should also be an adult and have a sense of humour.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Cleverbee wrote: So what if someone doesn't agree with the colour choice of your bike, or the fact you've seam welded ironwork to the frame to protect the sticky out bits, the choice you made is yours, you did it because you decided it was right for you.  Everyone doesn't live in the same pocket, individuality is what makes us and that goes with comments too.  Just because someone disagrees with your decision and makes comment doesn't make them a bad person.

We come one way through this life, it is not a drill.  We all encounter things we don't like in our travels, but please don't stereotype the few who wish to have non insulting banter by throwing your teddy's out of the pram and running off to tell mummy of the nasty person who said bad things about your bike/trip/gear/accessories etc.

If you're old enough to ride, you should also be an adult and have a sense of humour.
+1  :kacsint2:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Can we get back to normality now, please ?
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Cleverbee wrote: So what if someone doesn't agree with the colour choice of your bike, or the fact you've seam welded ironwork to the frame to protect the sticky out bits, the choice you made is yours, you did it because you decided it was right for you.  Everyone doesn't live in the same pocket, individuality is what makes us and that goes with comments too.  Just because someone disagrees with your decision and makes comment doesn't make them a bad person.

+2 Well said! Too many woolly liberals around!!?? ;)  Tongue in cheek comment by the way, should someone decide to get on their high horse and winge! ;) :alas:
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Dammit. I have to google teddies and pram. Sorry to see you go Richard.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

slowvet wrote:
I have to google teddies and pram.
Haha...I did the same thing.  I think it means throwing your toys from the stroller, i.e. tempter tantrum.  >:(

BMW MOA #210438
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I think our Australian friends would say 'spit the dummy'.  All means the same, down here it might be 'got a right monk on'..