R1200RT TC (2011) Rear Brake Rotor Replacement

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
schmails

R1200RT TC (2011) Rear Brake Rotor Replacement

Post by schmails »

Hey all.

My 2011 K26 TC has 21.5K Miles on it, and is in the shop getting new tyres, and TPMS replacements (6 years... meh).  Anyway, I get a call that the rear brake rotor is past minimum spec and should be replaced.  I see previous posts indicating that usual rear disc wear is about 50-60K miles.  Is it possible I need a new rear disc?  I don't use the rear brake that much, other than the balancing.  I think the bike is on 2nd set of pads (and they still have some left).

Along with this, I was not going to pay for an OEM rotor (crazy!).  Anyone recommend EBC rotors?  (and what is the model number?)

Thanks!

--ChrisD

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: R1200RT TC (2011) Rear Brake Rotor Replacement

Post by David. »

schmails wrote:I get a call that the rear brake rotor is past minimum spec and should be replaced.
What is the measured thickness of the rear rotor/disc.
schmails wrote:I was not going to pay for an OEM rotor. Anyone recommend EBC rotors, (and what is the model number.)
In the UK, the OEM rear disc is £197.86, EBC list part no. MD671 at a cost of £107.51.
Last edited by David. on Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
schmails

Re: R1200RT TC (2011) Rear Brake Rotor Replacement

Post by schmails »

Thanks. I would typically do this replacement myself... but it happened to be in for inspection anyway.

I asked them to button it up... and I'll do brake rotors and pads myself, and take it back or elsewhere to finish my June inspection.

I would like to measure the rotor myself and see how close to 4.5mm I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk