BLUETOOTH HEADSET ADVICE

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
guest2360

BLUETOOTH HEADSET ADVICE

Post by guest2360 »

I hate Bluetooth in all it's forms, however.  In the near future I might have to go down that road.
The system susgested to me is the Senna 20S but having read it's specs and price it might just be a bit of overkill for what I need.
What I want is rider to,pillion plus connect to an audio system (to both helmets) and to the GPS.  All in perfect stereo of course and with a long battery life between charging.
All advice gracefully aceoted.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: BLUETOOTH HEADSET ADVICE

Post by Casbar »

The 20s is the top of the range from Sena as the Packtalk is from Cardo. The 20s has just about the same capabilities as the Scala, but is a bit of a larger unit. Both makes have their fans, bit like BMW, if you are a Sena fan boy that is what you swear by, I looked at both the Sena and Scala, but at that time, Sena had rushed he 20s to market, so their were quality issues. So I'm a Scala fan, second set. Both manufacturers have lower cost units with less capabilities and both work ok.

You won't get a BT that will connect both helmets to the bike as discussed many times, but with the higher end BT you an share music from one helmet to the second, so in theory you can use the bike audio to the rider helmet, then share to the second. Quality wise as i've stated many times, I notice no difference in quality from the Stardom I've had in the past. Some also upgraded their helmet speakers, which is easy to do, as the connection are mostly a 3mm plug to the unit. I listened to the radio most of the way back from Germany and it was fine, and I wore ear plugs.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Thanks.  Bike system dongle to the audio unit I'm looking at suggests it will connect to two headsets so might get round that problem .  Wouldn't expect to get the Nav to connect to any more than one helmet.  Just got to find one costing £1.50 or less now.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:This is the Interphone BT Splitter, https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/325656.

"By plugging this into your MP3 player or other audio device you can transmit the audio output to two different Bluetooth devices by pairing each one individually to the splitter."

If the Garmin 340 is considered as "an audio device", this might solve the problem of pairing to two BT headsets, might be worth a phone call.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Like you, I am not a fan of Bluetooth, so I bought the Autocom Pro kit fir our helmets. If you don't mind the cable connection it's great and it avoids all the battery packs and Control boxes on the side of your helmet. Sound quality is very good. Under £300.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Taz wrote: Like you, I am not a fan of Bluetooth, so I bought the Autocom Pro kit fir our helmets. If you don't mind the cable connection it's great and it avoids all the battery packs and Control boxes on the side of your helmet. Sound quality is very good. Under £300.

I have used Autocom for over 20 years and would do agsin except it's not possible on what I'm looking at.  Will probably have a full Logic system to sell for next to nothing soon.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Taz wrote: Like you, I am not a fan of Bluetooth, so I bought the Autocom Pro kit fir our helmets. If you don't mind the cable connection it's great and it avoids all the battery packs and Control boxes on the side of your helmet. Sound quality is very good. Under £300.

Not sure what BT your talking about, but the battery and unit is all one bit that sits on the side of the helmet. Like I said many many times, Autocom is fine, but if you have multiple helmets and ride multiple bikes, BT wins hands down. You also don't need PMR radios to talk to other bikes. I had a starcom unit right up to the point my wife cable came undone and ended up wrapped around the rear sprocket whilst on the M6. No more cables for me. Nice feature as well is with BT I can talk to my wife whilst she is off the bike, quite handy sometimes.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Come on boys.  I'm asking for advice on BT kits here.  Before we know it we will be discussing scaffolding.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote: Come on boys.  I'm asking for advice on BT kits here.  Before we know it we will be discussing scaffolding.
I've been waiting for the Schuberth C4 helmet to come out, which apparently has a builtin Sena SC1 kit.  I haven't used it obviously, but supposed to be nearly invisible and have better range than older kits.  And for the record, Castrol oil is the best.
BMW MOA #210438
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Cardo scala rider Q1 teamset here, It works very well for a rider to pillion intercom and I'd definitely have another, It  works bike to bike but only has a range of about 400 meter's before the signal drops out.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
ITB

Post by ITB »

RTman10 wrote: Come on boys.  I'm asking for advice on BT kits here.  Before we know it we will be discussing scaffolding.

The key question here is connecting both BT headsets to "an audio system." The RT's audio system won't connect to more than one headset unless you use two Schuberth helmets, AFAIK. Unfortunately, the RT's BT is old v2.1 and its quality for music is awful.

You can connect two Sena 20S to an iPhone and Nav and can stream the iPhone's BT 4 music to both headsets (whose volume can be set individually) as well has have intercom service between them. If you want the RT's audio, the only solution may be to rig a separate BT 4 transmitter (as referenced above) to the RT's speaker wire output to allow the RT's audio output into the BT mix.
Last edited by ITB on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

To be honest I would never use anything but Autocom on the RT.  But in this case it's not so for various reasons Autocom would be very  very difficult to use.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: To be honest I would never use anything but Autocom on the RT.  But in this case it's not so for various reasons Autocom would be very  very difficult to use.
So why do you need to change? You going to the dark side?
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

smileymiley wrote: So why do you need to change? You going to the dark side?

Jon has fallen in love with the white trike thingy. Its an age thing  8)  Its not the BT you need to worry about its the bag you have to wear over your head so people don't recognise you  :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Rumbled .  But not until a visit a shed in Lincolnshire and try the thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk