Leaking oil

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
ddevane

Leaking oil

Post by ddevane »

Hi there

Hoping to lean on people's expertise here.

I have an R1200RT 2005

Running well but started a leak a couple of months ago. First a spot or two but seems worse. Not so bad that oil has needed to be topped up but enough to cause me concern and oil leak on floor.

When I look at it, it seems to me to be coming from the casing around the sump. Will check and torc bolts that i can see around sump (unless anyone advises differently).

Would really welcome any thoughts or help?

Thanks.

Declan

Attachments
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
Newman7096

Re: Leaking oil

Post by Newman7096 »

Maybe the oil pressure switch seal or crank position sensor seal. Can you see anything when it's running?
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

Use gunk or any similar degreaser and get the area well cleaned. That will give you a better chance of seeing the leak itself or at least see some witness marks to give you a clue as to the problem
ddevane

Post by ddevane »

Thank you Newman7096....will check that.....you wouldn't have a pic of where they located? Waiting on dealer to get manual in (2 weeks now).

@Badabing......yeah, will do; will strip down lower trim and clean her up well to see if can see source

Noticed that couple screws on casing not as tight as should be so tightened those easy accessible....no difference and perhaps even slightly worse!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having looked at the photos again, could the oil be emanating form the oil filter sealing ring, although the filter itself looks dry.

Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.