How to Remove Lockset from 2015 Panniers?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

How to Remove Lockset from 2015 Panniers?

Post by TJRL »

I have a set of 2015 R1200RT panniers which are open but do not have a key.
Does anyone know how to remove the lockset (without the key) so that I can rekey these panniers to my bikes key?
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest3075

Re: How to Remove Lockset from 2015 Panniers?

Post by guest3075 »

This chap shows how it can be done https://youtu.be/vlppCcPogfs. I made up a similar tool to the paper clip but from 12"hacksaw blade.

It's a bit fiddiy but done a few now.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

I had seen that clip and given the technique a try, but to no avail. :(
However it may have been because the paper clip although heavy duty kept bending, so making the tool out of an old hacksaw blade may be the answer. I am just a bit suspect of the panniers I have been given as my bike's key opens them (including releasing from the bike) even when the key is only about 1/4 of the way in!
I suspect the panniers may have been butchered when removed without a key so the locks may not release properly if the internals are knackered. If I get a chance this weekend I will try again.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

If you already have a spare lock or an old lock that has been removed, try it on the bench first, it's the last leaf that stays out all the time, and needs to be depressed, once you learn and see which action makes the leaf retract on your test lock, you can replicate it on the pannier.

Use the force Luke