The instruments still remain on (speedometer and tachometer)

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Noggin

The instruments still remain on (speedometer and tachometer)

Post by Noggin »

Hello, I have the RT made in 2005 and now it's still glowing the instruments (speedometer and tachometer) even after pulling the key from the ignition. Does anyone know what to do with it? Thanks
Attachments
DSC_2353.JPG
guest2360

Re: The instruments still remain on (speedometer and tachometer)

Post by guest2360 »

Sounds like a Canbus fault.  Try disconnecting the battery for a few minuted to see if it clears itself.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I tried it twice, and it always came back. :-) :not:
LAF

Post by LAF »

Got nothing for you except maybe the battery is shot?  I know low batterys drive canbus nuts but do not know what all the symptoms may be.

What was the last thing done to the bike?  Sometimes this helps going to the last thing done and checking it.

May need a GS-911 to see what may be going on code wise?  Are you throwing any dash lights?

Otherwise sounds like ignition switch but am not sure if there have been issues with these in the earlier bikes?

Hope you get it squared away.

Let us know what you find.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hello, diagnosis in BMW did not show any error, so it means to look for a mechanical fault. :-(  So when there is more time, I have to cut off the front and look for the cable harness that leads to the instruments.  :wonder:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Did you get th bike checked at a BMW dealer or somewhere else.  If it was BMW it seems odd they didn't advise you what the problem is. 
Cut into any of the wires in the Canbus system and you are guaranteed to get all sorted of error codes showing on the dash.
I suspect it's the clock unit itself which is faulty and it's keeping the Canbus link open.
As it's a sealed unit your only solution would be a replacement one and not a new one .
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yes, was it the original BMW.  The diagnosis did not say anything, and the technician, when he said he took the instruments and blasted with them, lit the lights and went out. So I was told that this is a mechanical problem that they do not have the capacity to solve now. :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't quite understand what the tech did but I still think the dash unit is the problem, not the wiring.  Any cutting of a Canbus loom can easily result in faults so be careful. The dash on your bike was produced from 2005 up until 2009.  Even 2010 on appear the same apart from the cover.  There must be many available second hand and BMW can easily reset the mileage in them.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The technician, switched on the devices, and when it moved with the devices, the lighting turned on and then went out. I do not want to disassemble the devices, just to see if the supply cord is short-circuited. If there is a problem in the device, I'll buy another one :-) Thank you for the answers. :-) I will report how I succeeded.  ;)