Slight capsize incident

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sprintgull

Slight capsize incident

Post by Sprintgull »

Morning All,
Isn't the side stand on the RTLC long......?  Seem to remember another post on this subject a few months back.

Here's how I found out:  Stopped yesterday in a car park in Chard for a comfort stop.  Sheeting down with rain, so flicked the side stand down and hopped off.  The ground sloped down from left down to the right and the stand had hit before completing its arc to the normal stop position.  As I let go of the bike, it very gently rolled over onto it's right side, with me unsuccesfully trying to stop its descent.  What's the first thing to do?  IAM shoulder check to see if anyone witnessed this act of stupidity.  Nope, after all this was Somerset and it was hosing down.  Using the tried and tested 'back against the bike and lift with the legs' method is was soon upright again.

Observations: 

1. The head protector took all the weight and will clean up. 
2. There's a slight nick on the bottom of the pannier which will clean up and shows me where to stick the Halfords bumper protectors. 
3. Can't help thinking though that engine bars may have made it roll right over until the mirror touched down. 
4. I need to be more careful
5. RTs fall over really neatly.  When something similar happened to the old K1300GT the paint on the fairing and pannier suffered a fair bit.

Oh well, confession over.  Back to normal now.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Re: Slight capsize incident

Post by David. »

Sorry to hear of your mishap, sh1t happens.

On the positive side, if you hadn't of had your pannier on, some would say you'd be looking at replacing the FD unit.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Oh dear! Yes, sh*t does indeed happen. I think more like a damaged exhaust silencer (and more?) without panniers fitted, as the 2016 RT fell over onto it's RH side...?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Bmw pannier protectors are well worth there cost in zero speed tipovers, same can be said for Machine Art Moto cylinder head protectors, ask me how I know!!
Glad no serious damage to bike or you done
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sprintgull wrote:As I let go of the bike, it very gently rolled over onto it's right side.
Steve F wrote:I think more like a damaged exhaust silencer (and more?) without panniers fitted, as the 2016 RT fell over onto it's RH side...?
Yes, sorry, I missed that, just thought it fell on the side stand side, must pay more attention to the details.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorkshirebiker69

Post by yorkshirebiker69 »

Your not alone mate iI did the same thing in Italy last week. I've no cylinder head covers and didn't have my panniers on. Got away without hardly any damage. Minor scrape on mirror and minor pit marks in cylinder head. Took 3 of us to lift it back up.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

yorkshirebiker69 wrote:I did the same thing in Italy last week. I've no cylinder head covers and didn't have my panniers on. Got away without hardly any damage.
Did it go down on the RHS.
yorkshirebiker69

It went down away from the stand. I was on an incline and couldn't get side stand down and when I leaned it away to get side stand down I just couldn't hold the weight of the bike. I'm now considering changing for a lighter bike as I'm a short arse at 5' 6".
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

yorkshirebiker69 wrote: It went down away from the stand. I was on an incline and couldn't get side stand down and when I leaned it away to get side stand down I just couldn't hold the weight of the bike. I'm now considering changing for a lighter bike as I'm a short arse at 5' 6".

Bit drastic changing the bike, just plan a little better when stopping. I have taken many a decision not to park in a particular place because of the slope, just move to a more suitable position. Its also as bad when you park the other way around and there is too much slope, leaning the bike over and the stand still hasn't hit the ground is a heart stopping moment, because you pass the point where you can hold it, so it either rests on the stand or not :(. Then getting it back up is a chore as well.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

yorkshirebiker69 wrote:It went down away from the stand.
Pleased to hear that there was minimal damage & although it fell on the RHS (without the panniers on),  the silencer was not marked in any way.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I've found that you can alter the angle of the side stand by changing the suspension settings up or down. It has helped a lot on this European holiday. Makes it easier for Rosemary to get on or off too.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I got a spare stand and cut mine down by 1cm, and had s larger wunderluch style foot added on, my 2014 fell over three times to the right, each time on level land and one of those at the dealer !

15 seconds after I got off, the bike seemed to adjust itself and fell over!

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: I got a spare stand and cut mine down by 1cm, and had s larger wunderluch style foot added on, my 2014 fell over three times to the right, each time on level land and one of those at the dealer !

15 seconds after I got off, the bike seemed to adjust itself and fell over!

I must be lucky then, a whole year and a half and mine has never fallen off its side stand. And its not a universal problem or at least its not all over the internet. Sorry guys user error - shit happens
yorkshirebiker69

Think I am going to buy some R & G carbon covers
Attachments
20170601_193051.jpg
yorkshirebiker69

And the mirror damage. Think I've been extremely lucky. Yes I agree Casbar after said incident I did plan my parking. The Mrs had also noticed I was a little unsteady at speeds below 4mph when coming to a stop. However we was fully loaded when this was happening. So for latter part of tour at certain places I set suspension to soft and this helped. Also when I was waiting to get onto to the ferry I changed suspension to solo and soft and I that was even better. Shame we can't alter piliion modes whilst on the move.
Attachments
20170601_193043.jpg