On tour and I have a fault..

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

On tour and I have a fault..

Post by Sullivj »

So, we've started our 10 day tour of Ireland, and have stopped over in Cardiff, before boarding the ferry later today.

Anyway, I have tried to alter the suspension on my 2012 bike, to change from solo rider, to 'with luggage', but it won't change.  If I hold the button for a couple of seconds, it displays a yellow triangle on the dash.  Press it again for a couple of seconds and the triangle turns off.

Are there any fuses I could check? Any other ideas what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance.

leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Re: On tour and I have a fault..

Post by leonjennings »

is the bike's engine running when you try? I suspect you already know it has to be but worth a shot just in case.
Last edited by leonjennings on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 SE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Are there any fuses I could check?
There aren't any fuses, just relays which are supposed to reset themselves.
Sullivj wrote:Any other ideas what the issue could be?
Are all the other functions controlled by the LHS handlebar switch working OK, could be the dreaded switch fault.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Do you have to change the setting in advance, prior to being loaded ???

Prior to the expression, have you taken your kit off before changing the setting.......
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

All other functions work OK, and the switch is working, as it brings on the light.

The engine was running, and no, you don't have to take the kit off I don't think.

I'll take a look tomorrow, but expect the suspension unit is faulty. It still managed the 509 mile journey OK.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Did you feel any movement in the suspension when you pressed the button or did it stay at the exact same height.  If nothing moved I think you will need a trip to a dealer to see if it's showing a fault code.  It sounds like an ESA sensor fault.  On the LC these are an integral part of the whole shock.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

No, there's no movement. I disconnected the lead to the suspension unit, and also the battery, but the fault remains. I'll take it to the dealer when I'm home.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

When you take it the dealer tell them to update the chassis firmware which controls the upper and lower limits of the suspension travel to the latest release. If the suspension goes above either limit it will not adjust.
This cured a problem on my 2005 bike but I do know that by 2012 a different system of detecting suspension travel was used.
It's certainly worth a try before spending £££'s.

It would be good idea to ask the dealer to get BMW Technical involved if you pursue this path.
John Bentall
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thank you for all your help.

Having got home and read the manual, I embarrassingly realise that I was pressing the ASC button in error. Stupid I know.

Sorry...
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Obviously there are a few morals to this story (and I've done some pretty daft things too, so I know !).
My best one in this case would be - try everything one week before you go. Check everything, change settings and confirm they work, check tyre pressures agree with the TPMS, etc etc.
If you find an issue you have time to get to your dealer and, hopefully, get it sorted.
My latest one was walking around with the emergency "key" for my "keyless" bike trying to decide where I should carry it on my trip. That was the week before I set off and I haven't seen it since ! I didn't go to the dealer with that one because I didn't want to admit my stupidity ..... :-X
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE