General RPM range riding and red line - power band?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Methos1979

General RPM range riding and red line - power band?

Post by Methos1979 »

I've had my '16 RT for just under a year now and I continue to love it more with every ride. I'm now intimately comfortable with all aspects of this bike. I ride and shift gears by 'feel' and find that I upshift usually just before 4k and downshift around 2.5k. I love the pro shift assist and when going by feel I find that I generally get the smoothest little clicks going up from 3rd into 4th and beyond. Going down I get a nice little blip and click all they down into 2nd.

I find I generally cruise around 3.5k. Red line is WAY up around 9k. This makes me wonder: There's a whole lot of RPM bandwidth between the 4k I shift at and the red line. Where is the power band on our bikes? For giggles I accelerated rapidly in 4th yesterday up to around 6k and it was pulling wicked strong but I was already at 80 and so I had to back off!

I'm just wondering what you folk generally ride/shift at for RPM's, and how often you get up into those higher RPM's.
Topphoto1

Re: General RPM range riding and red line - power band?

Post by Topphoto1 »

I do tend to cruise, but due to being 2up most of the time and recently get a speeding ticket! I tend not to blast it, but it is there omg is it lol, I feel no real need to rev the nuts out of it lol it a lot different to my Ninja 9r, or I am just getting old or a think about the missus on the back too much lol! So the only answer to your question is not often at the high revs. 🤔
Smile you ride a BMW.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Topphoto1 wrote: I do tend to cruise, but due to being 2up most of the time and recently get a speeding ticket! I tend not to blast it, but it is there omg is it lol, I feel no real need to rev the nuts out of it lol it a lot different to my Ninja 9r, or I am just getting old or a think about the missus on the back too much lol! So the only answer to your question is not often at the high revs. 🤔

Same here, mostly two-up these days. The only time I really like to get on it is when some tool on a 'souped up' Harley (still running 30 HP below stock RT!) tries to leave me in the dust. No ticket yet, but a couple of close calls an will get one eventually. I often find myself up at 80 (or more!) on the highway without even really noticing.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I have competed in hillclimbs for a few years in a car and found that my "natural" shift point on the road is where the torque curve flattens. The addition of a shift light on my car allowed me to appreciate the entirety of what my engine had to offer. Worth experiencing but depends on what mood you're in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Crank it up and it's bloody awesome, going through Wales last year without trying, got the front end up without a thought.
But please, only do so on roads and environment that are suitable, you can still get into trouble and no body wants that... :clap:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Littlebriar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Littlebriar »

I have a '16 RT. I tend to cruise at a little higher rpm. 4-4.5k. I like the responsiveness I get if I need to accelerate quickly. So I'm probably running 1 gear lower than you. My dealer told me not to be bashful as the bike likes the higher rpm. So do I!
Steve