Grip puppies - fatigue

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Grip puppies - fatigue

Post by timminator »

Installed a set of grip puppies last weekend, and I must say my reviews are mixed.  While they do decrease the vibration and tingling sensation, for some reason I seem to have more fatigue in my hands after riding.  I don't think I have unusually large or small hands, just average, but my fingers may be on the shorter side (No Trump jokes please!).

Has anyone else noticed this?  Perhaps there is just a break-in period that takes some getting used to? 
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Grip puppies - fatigue

Post by Casbar »

Fitted them for the same reasons. Interestingly my mileage has just passed 10k and I no longer have the tingling right hand, think the engine has loosened up. As for hand fatigue, haven't noticed any difference
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Heavier bar end weights is what you need.
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

I'm much better off with them on.
The standard grips (2014 LC) are too small diameter for my large hands and were uncomfortable.
With the foam sleeves on I don't get the discomfort. I never really noticed an issue with vibration.
Peter
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I found the small diameter of the standard grips caused discomfort and felt unnatural.  Bought a pair of Grip Buddies from NN.  Easy to fit and comfortable in use.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

The last four bikes I had prior to the RT all had larger grips on them so when I bought the RT the first thing I did was to put on the grip puppies to give me that fatter grip. I had ridden the bike for a week or so before getting them delivered and installed so I did have some time with the stock thinner grips. After a couple rides with the grip puppies I cut them off and threw them away. I found my hands fatigued much quicker with them. Going on a year now with the stock grips and love them just fine. Right and get a little numb from time to time from having to hold the throttle but a few seconds on the cruise control and all is fine.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Methos1979 wrote: The last four bikes I had prior to the RT all had larger grips on them so when I bought the RT the first thing I did was to put on the grip puppies to give me that fatter grip. I had ridden the bike for a week or so before getting them delivered and installed so I did have some time with the stock thinner grips. After a couple rides with the grip puppies I cut them off and threw them away. I found my hands fatigued much quicker with them. Going on a year now with the stock grips and love them just fine. Right and get a little numb from time to time from having to hold the throttle but a few seconds on the cruise control and all is fine.
I spent about a year without them, and now have tried for the first time.  Having the exact same experience as you, so removed them yesterday.  I was able to sneak a little soapy water under them and slide them off without cutting, maybe will try again another day.
BMW MOA #210438
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

It was kind of neat going back to thin grips. Like back to riding the bikes of my youth which was also felt in the RT's peppy performance as compared to the heavy, slow dogs I'd been riding for way too long! Riding is fun again!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Just ordered some Grip Buddies.  Hands starting to get a bit old and arthritic, so we'll see how it goes.  Got big hands too.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I purchased from Ebay 10 rolls of black tennis racket handle wrap. I put 2 wraps on each grip. It did make a difference in vibration and feel. Where the wrap over laps, it gives your fingers something to hold on to. When it wears down, just unwrap and wrap on a new layer. Cheap fix but worth it in my opinion.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I use Grip Puppies for 12 years or so and love them.  On the BMW's with their small grips it makes all the difference for me.

Putting them on use you air nozzle on your compressor.  In 30 seconds I have them on and off.  It is really simple using air.

I did try the Grip Buddies but you have a seam where the Velcro meets and I could not find a place I liked that seam.  I did not care for them at all.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Yes, I agree. The seam is the downside to Grip Buddies. I tried mine in many positions, but could not position them to avoid the seam. In the end I just got used to the slight ridge the seams cause.
GDD

Post by GDD »

I've used grip puppies for some years now due to arthritis caused by a broken scaphoid.
I wouldn't be without them.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

As they are not as dense as rubber grips the feeling when you hold them is a little more vague - similar to holding a sponge instead of a metal bar although that is a more extreme example.  I think, because of that, there may be an unconscious tendency to grip them harder so that your hold on the bars feels firmer.  I had foam grips on a GS550 many years ago and quickly changed them back to the standard rubber ones.   
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MEM62 wrote: As they are not as dense as rubber grips the feeling when you hold them is a little more vague - similar to holding a sponge instead of a metal bar although that is a more extreme example.  I think, because of that, there may be an unconscious tendency to grip them harder so that your hold on the bars feels firmer.  I had foam grips on a GS550 many years ago and quickly changed them back to the standard rubber ones. 

Haven't noticed that, but then again I don't grip the bars hard.