Slight capsize incident

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Slight capsize incident

Post by Casbar »

yorkshirebiker69 wrote: And the mirror damage. Think I've been extremely lucky. Yes I agree Casbar after said incident I did plan my parking. The Mrs had also noticed I was a little unsteady at speeds below 4mph when coming to a stop. However we was fully loaded when this was happening. So for latter part of tour at certain places I set suspension to soft and this helped. Also when I was waiting to get onto to the ferry I changed suspension to solo and soft and I that was even better. Shame we can't alter piliion modes whilst on the move.

Yes I was touring last week two up with luggage, found the bike a bit wobbly at low speeds especially when getting onto the tunnel train. I had to use a bit more back brake when slow riding and be a little more positive when coming to a stop, definitely different to when setting is on solo rider. Ride nearly all the time in dynamic, so alway hard. As I said, just need to be aware of the changes, glad you have found a solution  8)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It seems that far too many of us have been there. You are fortunate that the damage was light. When I dropped mine - in somewhat similar circumstances - I ended up replacing the cover. I now have the BMW cylinder protectors fitted, along with the 'bump strips' on the panniers.
Last edited by Paggers on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: It seems that far too many of us have been there. You are fortunate that the damage was light. When I dropped mine - in somewhat similar circumstances - I ended up replacing the cover. I now have the BMW cylinder protectors fitted, along with the 'bump strips' on the panniers.

Did you fit the BMW bump strips or the Halfords ones? That is on my to do list
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm convinced that my 'lie down' incident that started this little badinage was down to pilot error.
What I think happened is that the sloping ground prevented the stand from swinging through its full arc, something I failed to notice, and then down she went. A couple of comparisons to other bikes I've owned points out why this seems to be a particular problem on the RT (for me anyway):
The stand is long. Getting the bike out for me involves wheeling it backwards out of the garage on to a downward sloping driveway. I usually leave the stand down and the RT is the only bike I've had that grounds as it goes over the lip. So stopping on ground that slopes up to the left means that the bike is almost vertical, even if it is properly on the stand. No problem - just be careful how I park.

The other thing is that the stand seems further forward than most other bikes, which makes it easy to miss what I described above. Something else to bear in mind.

For all that, it is still a brilliant bike.
I've managed a couple of rides without further incident :D
Last edited by Sprintgull on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Casbar wrote:
Did you fit the BMW bump strips or the Halfords ones? That is on my to do list

BMW guards & pannier bump straps on order..........
tony23

Post by tony23 »

Sprintgull wrote:
The stand is long. Getting the bike out for me involves wheeling it backwards out of the garage on to a downward sloping driveway. I usually leave the stand down and the RT is the only bike I've had that grounds as it goes over the lip. So stopping on ground that slopes up to the left means that the bike is almost vertical, even if it is properly on the stand. No problem - just be careful how I park.

[/quote

I used to have a similar issue with mine , I bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-MS063-M ... B009ZRYKWS
and now ride in turn around and ride out again. Solved my problem a treat.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: Did you fit the BMW bump strips or the Halfords ones? That is on my to do list
I had the BMW ones fitted by my dealer. Personally speaking, I couldn't see the point in spending £16k (or whatever it was, I can't remember now) on a brand new motorcycle and then going with cheapo protection. It also got around the issue of me having to fit them myself
8)
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
garth514

Post by garth514 »

I did a similar thing last week. Was in France for a week fully loaded with the wife on back and took a wrong turning, stopped to turn round and putting the right foot down realised the grass verge I was aiming for had a divot out of it and my leg wouldn't quite touch the ground.

By this time I was past the tipping point and couldn't stop the bike rolling over on it's side Fortunately the grass softened the blow with just minor scratches on the pannier but sadly some gravel on the verge has damaged the paint on the cylinder head - No gouges in the metal as I was stationary at the time

I think a little time with wet/dry will get it back but does anyone know anything about refinishing the heads , is there a particular paint thst someone has had success with and can recommend?

In the meantime it looks like a pair of head covers are next on the list of accessories   
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat , you cling on tenaciously but you know that sooner or later you're going to get pissed off
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Just another point on this subject. I swapped over to my BMW comfort seat today and it seems to be just that bit lower, allowing better placement of my feet when stopping, so hopefully it will help prevent any mishaps!
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Casbar wrote:
Sorry guys user error - shit happens

So I pro a bike on level ground and get off it, and on its own accord it falls over away from the stand, and it's user error?

Such a nice wonderful friendly forum nowadays, riders happy to help other riders, and give messages of support. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ItsOnlyMe wrote:
So I pro a bike on level ground and get off it, and on its own accord it falls over away from the stand, and it's user error?

Such a nice wonderful friendly forum nowadays, riders happy to help other riders, and give messages of support.

There was plenty of empathy in my other posts, but like it or not, its not a well known issue that RTs just fall off their side stands on their own. So either people don't put the stand down correctly or they have parked in the wrong place, If you have an issue with my posts email me and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.