Touring

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
steve.sharkey

Touring

Post by steve.sharkey »

Getting excited now, just 16 days and I'll be starting my 18 day tour to Norway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sepossivel

Re: Touring

Post by sepossivel »

Where you starting from?

SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Near cheddar in Somerset, doing the Keil to Gothenburg overnight in the way there and Malmo bridge on the way back. 4000+ miles all told

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

That's over 220 miles per day! You ain't gonna see a lot of the country..... :( At least 5 hours riding a day then breaks.......
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

And I have 10 days before starting from Norway for my Italy round. Will try to ride the whole shoreline of Italy  ^-^
STeinar
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Norway ?  Italy ? ..... I'm four weeks back from my ride to Spain and you guys are making me itch for another trip.

Let's hear all your stories when you get back !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

smileymiley wrote: That's over 220 miles per day! You ain't gonna see a lot of the country..... :( At least 5 hours riding a day then breaks.......
This is the trip with my wife, we'll get a flavour and she wants a few days off the bike just the price you have to pay. September is a week of Switzerland & Austria with my brothers - a TOTALLY different ride!

sepossivel

Post by sepossivel »

steve.sharkey wrote: This is the trip with my wife, we'll get a flavour and she wants a few days off the bike just the price you have to pay. September is a week of Switzerland & Austria with my brothers - a TOTALLY different ride!

Did this in Easter

Amazing
London =>Belgium => Frankfurt  => Stuttgart => Basel => Zurich => Geneva => Lyon=> Marseille => Paris => London .. amazing and crazy .. 10 days ... solo ride

Next year will do something similar in Easter again
SW - loving it  - ZXR6 - 1200 RT
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

In 2014, for my brothers birthday, we did uk, tunnel, France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy (Stelvio) France (Milau viaduct then med. coast), Pyrenees Spain & back via Santander ferry 8 days one of which was sat on the ferry. Not only that but we were 4 bikes: Pan, Tiger 800, CBF600 and me on a naked Bandit 600. I bought the BMW soon after!

Topphoto1

Post by Topphoto1 »

Might be a daft question! But what sort of costs are associated with these type of trips lol something general will do lol 🤔 Unless you would like to offer a rough brake down 😱, we would love to do something worthwhile, but assume it's quite expensive.
Smile you ride a BMW.
steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

Norway is very expensive on top of which I'm paying for food & room for both of us, Europe where room costs are shared with my brother, we usually fill up on breakfast and have coffee & cake in the day plus evening meal maybe a couple of beers - September is a good time for costs, I paid ferry and tunnel before setting off and took £800 of euros with me but I brought a fair few home. We had a mix of rooms with a bit of a bunk room for the four of us in Austria but excellent hotels on the Italian lakes - its after summer holidays but before skiing starts dry on every day but one!

MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Topphoto1 wrote: Might be a daft question! But what sort of costs are associated with these type of trips lol something general will do lol 🤔 Unless you would like to offer a rough brake down 😱, we would love to do something worthwhile, but assume it's quite expensive.

Sailing for Spain on Wed.  The crossing was £525 when booked (including cabin as I don't do sleeper seats). We will be playing in the Pyrenees for 12 days and that's probably going to mean a spend of around £1,200 in hotels, foods and beer / wine for two of us.
axamax
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

sepossivel wrote: Did this in Easter
Amazing
London =>Belgium => Frankfurt => Stuttgart => Basel => Zurich => Geneva => Lyon=> Marseille => Paris => London .. amazing and crazy .. 10 days ... solo ride

Next year will do something similar in Easter again

Calais - Hannover - Ulm - Dijon - Marseille - Perpignan - Lloret de Mar ...... 23.5 hours ...Solo Ride :)
Last edited by axamax on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Just returned from 10 days in Northern Spain with a pal on an R1200 R - Bilbao - Picos - Santiago de Compostella - Teixido - Viveiro - Picos - Santander. Fabulous roads with no traffic and warm, friendly people. We only saw 2 fellow Brits on the trip after we left the Picos. Get out of the Picos and prices fall for everything. We were paying between 32 and 50 Euros a night for a single room ranging from a hostel to a four star spa resort.
We had a brilliant time but it comes with a caveat - beware of the heat and long distances causing dehydration!
My pal suffered badly and gave me the most frightening two days when we didn't realise his problem. A medic actually thought he'd had a stroke. So beware and ride sensible lengths of time and frequently re-hydrate because you will not realise what is happening to you until its too late.
Have a great time and just stop and enjoy the local culture frequently.

Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Topphoto1 wrote: But what sort of costs are associated with these type of trips lol something general will do lol
Last four trips to Europe cost me about £100 a day for hotel/food/drink, fuel costs depend what and how far/fast you ride:-) and ferry route/tunnel you is down to your choice.  Touring two up literally doubles costs, not the hotel or fuel :-) but apparently eating from local super markets over a beer every evening does not go down too well and restaurants are more expensive...  Peter