Nav V Problem

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Nav V Problem

Post by Casbar »

My Nav V has started asking me if I want to switch to car mode, every time it starts up and also if it starts from sleep. This happens in the RT LC fitted sat nav cradle.

The Nav V is set to motorcycle, both on the ribbon bar at the top and in the settings for Nav etc.

I have cleaned the pins of the cradle with contact cleaner and made sure all the pins are free, I have also cleaned the contacts on the Nav V. It stopped happening when I first cleaned them, but soon started again and now no amount of cleaning sorts it out.

I am thinking one of the pins in the cradle must tell the Nav V its on the bike and if that is not working, the sat nav thinks its in the car (just a theory).

So either the cradle is bust or the sat nav, it would be better if it was the sat nav as that is still under warranty, but the cradle according to Mr BMW is not covered by the assured warranty.

Next step I will try on a mates RT, that should tell me which bit is the issue. But wondered if anyone had come across this before :)
guest2360

Re: Nav V Problem

Post by guest2360 »

More likely to be something in its settings .  Have you looked at them.  You could even try reverting to factory settings to see if that solves it.  Think you need to save what you have in it before you do that though.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

New one to me.. My Nav V has worked perfectly on both my LC' s. Only problem I had with it was when I had a loaner 1600, suspension recall, & it kept freezing. Apparently a known fault according to Pidcocks!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: More likely to be something in its settings .  Have you looked at them.  You could even try reverting to factory settings to see if that solves it.  Think you need to save what you have in it before you do that though.

Thought that, but rang Mr Garmin and they said they don't think its the Nav V, like I said something tells it, that its on the bike and not in the car, so sounds like a pin in the cradle that isn't passing a correct voltage. There is nothing in the settings to change, it started doing it towards the end of the germany trip, so I thought it was something to do with the routes, but I deleted all the routes from Germany and it still did it. Plus once I had cleaned the pins the first time, it stopped, then started again a day later, which points to a cradle issue. But I'll do a swap over the weekend and should then be able to tell which bit is not working :)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ok, Jon might have been right, I set my Nav V to car, put it on the bike, then reset to motorcycle and closed it down. It now seems to be behaving and no more messages, but will see if behaves over the weekend. All I can think is, one of the routes in Germany was uploaded in car mode from Basecamp, so it reset the Nav and then when I set it back, although it looked like it was in motorcycle, it hadn't registered the motorcycle mode :). But time will tell, if that is the case, it was your fault Jon  :whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Course it is.  Book for Boppard next year and you can test your theory.  I guarantee no builders anywhere.