Slip-on exhaust for LC R1200 RT

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Slip-on exhaust for LC R1200 RT

Post by Casbar »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: It might be cause of the TuV approval in Germany so yes it might be welded to stop you removing it as without it might not meet some strict reg

Its only a spot weld on the side of the nut, so will break easily if you wanted to remove the baffles. Thought I asked about this on another forum and some had a weld some didn't. The HP branded silencers mostly had welds, where the Akro which didn't have HP on the side seemed to not have the weld. Never bothered to take the baffles out, so not bothered. I came from 11 years of Harley ownership, so had enough of really loud exhausts :)
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: It might be cause of the TuV approval in Germany so yes it might be welded to stop you removing it as without it might not meet some strict reg
+1 I think in Germany they have a much tough line on mods, what I recall hearing anyway...  Normally it is just a small tack weld that can be broken if you are really keen:-)

Peter
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Have just had an Akrapovic fitted to my 2015 RT.  It feels 'sportier' although I think (I know) that is my imagination. Not a lot of sound difference at low revs but from 3500+ revs it sounds wonderful without being too noisy. I have kept the baffles intact.
I can't believe I spent that amount of money just for a better noise!  I must be going daft my old age!
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I thought hard about it and decided that I wasn't willing to spend close to a grand on a sportier sound. I have instead ordered a Remus 'Black Hawk' (see link below). It was just over half the price of the Akrapovic (certainly at dealer prices) and while it probably doesn't have quite the same 'street cred' it will be hidden by panniers much of the time - and the rest of the time I don't really care anyway!

https://www.remus.eu/news/BIKE_INFO_36_15_Black_Hawk_BMW_Modelle_e/
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Paggers wrote: I thought hard about it and decided that I wasn't willing to spend close to a grand on a sportier sound. I have instead ordered a Remus 'Black Hawk' (see link below). It was just over half the price of the Akrapovic (certainly at dealer prices) and while it probably doesn't have quite the same 'street cred' it will be hidden by panniers much of the time - and the rest of the time I don't really care anyway!

Pidcocks have 15% off Akrapovics at present. That was the deciding factor for me.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: I thought hard about it and decided that I wasn't willing to spend close to a grand on a sportier sound. I have instead ordered a Remus 'Black Hawk' (see link below). It was just over half the price of the Akrapovic (certainly at dealer prices) and while it probably doesn't have quite the same 'street cred' it will be hidden by panniers much of the time - and the rest of the time I don't really care anyway!

And when your flap goes west, BMW will say you have a non recommended can on and no thanks to repair 8)
LAF

Post by LAF »

Casbar wrote:
And when your flap goes west, BMW will say you have a non recommended can on and no thanks to repair  8)
Not if you put the factory can back on before heading to the dealer.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

True, but bit of a pain, my Akro has different fittings.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: And when your flap goes west, BMW will say you have a non recommended can on and no thanks to repair 8)
Almost certainly. But I'm not going to spoil my enjoyment of the bike because of future warranty issues. And, given that the flap is a known issue on the bike, I would argue pretty strongly against any attempt to suggest that it was a result of the aftermarket can.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Almost certainly. But I'm not going to spoil my enjoyment of the bike because of future warranty issues. And, given that the flap is a known issue on the bike, I would argue pretty strongly against any attempt to suggest that it was a result of the aftermarket can.
Good luck with that, when mine went, they even checked my Akro was the HP version that they sell and not one bought from Nippy N.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Quick question for all those experts out there. I have just been reading that if you add an aftermarket exhaust - especially one where you remove the baffle - the additional airflow through the engine can cause it to run lean with negative long term implications for the engine. The recommendation was to get a Power Commander fitted, or an engine remap.

Can anyone comment on whether or not this is true for the RT? If I want to run the Remus exhaust long term am I going to risk damaging the engine if I don't do something with the fuel mapping?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Quick question for all those experts out there. I have just been reading that if you add an aftermarket exhaust - especially one where you remove the baffle - the additional airflow through the engine can cause it to run lean with negative long term implications for the engine. The recommendation was to get a Power Commander fitted, or an engine remap.

Can anyone comment on whether or not this is true for the RT? If I want to run the Remus exhaust long term am I going to risk damaging the engine if I don't do something with the fuel mapping?

So the bike runs lean as standard. Many have gone to Hilltop to have their bikes remapped to make them run better. If you changed the headers as well then a remap would be advisable. If you just change the end can, the ECU will cope fine. BMW fit the Akro and none are remapped. If you wanted to sort the fueling out, then a power commander would help with fueling as long as you could find a map or let it self learn. I have been running an Akro with no ill effects for a year or more. The only time I used to mess with remaps or an ecu piggyback unit was if I changed the air filters and headers.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Just to add, give Hilltop a call and ask them, but they will advise a remap. If you remap, you then have the issue with insurance as you should really tell them. Hilltop will tell you their remap will be hidden in the ecu, so BMW will never know and nor would the insurance company if they investigated after an accident. I would think any end can made for the bike will be ok. But that is why I stuck with the Akro, as I ddn't want any issues with Mr BMW if I had any warranty issues. I used to have many different cans on my Harleys with no warranty issues, but to be fair, Harley sold most of them and you could buy from the dealer so they couldn't argue
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: So the bike runs lean as standard. Many have gone to Hilltop to have their bikes remapped to make them run better. If you changed the headers as well then a remap would be advisable. If you just change the end can, the ECU will cope fine. BMW fit the Akro and none are remapped. If you wanted to sort the fueling out, then a power commander would help with fueling as long as you could find a map or let it self learn. I have been running an Akro with no ill effects for a year or more. The only time I used to mess with remaps or an ecu piggyback unit was if I changed the air filters and headers.
Thanks Casbar. I could fit a PCV but that would added cost - plus it seemed a bit odd to me that just replacing the end-can would have enough of an effect to take the air/fuel ratio outside of the capabilities of the stock maps in the ECU (you can usually change the full exhaust system on a car without needing a remap). I agree that if I were ever to replace the headers (and ditch the cat) then I would definitely need to fit a PCV (or get a remap) but I'm not expecting to go that far. After all, it is an RT, not a sports bike! I'm just trying to get an improved sound out of the girl.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Long shot, but does anyone live in Cumbria, if so would you be willing to lend your bike to Fuel Exhausts for a few days so they can pattern a system? Way cheaper than akro or remus, but I'm too far away.