screen problems

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
delboy1145

screen problems

Post by delboy1145 »

I have just taken delivery of a r1200rt 2011 a couple of weeks ago and I'm certain that when I turned off the bike the screen automatically returned to the parked position but now it doesn't. is this normal or am I dreaming.
The bike is a R1200 RT SE 2011
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: screen problems

Post by simbo »

My 2011 stays where it is when I turn it off, It only moves when I press the raise/lower button.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The screen only parks itself on the LC.
delboy1145

Post by delboy1145 »

Thanks for that I hired one in Florida and rode to Key west and that parked when switched off and I fell in love with the RT and bought one when returned home and could not remember if the screen parked on the SE or not but as its on a three month warranty I thought I had better check
Dave
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The system first appeared on the K1600 in 2011, the idea being that when it's down you couldn't get at the Navigator.  One day, some day BMW might just fit the same system on the RT.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Worked the opposite way round on the FJR. Early ones self parked, then someone devised a work around removing some bit or other, and the later ones didn't self park. Seems to me that if you have your screen set up nicely for the prevailing conditions, why would you want to have to reset it after a comfort stop. It is hardly a major consideration at the end of the day to park the screen if you so desire, but I suppose the same applies resetting it during a ride. The FJR didn't have the complication of a GPS high on the dash to fiddle with.
Chris
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

k9doc wrote: Worked the opposite way round on the FJR. Early ones self parked, then someone devised a work around removing some bit or other, and the later ones didn't self park. Seems to me that if you have your screen set up nicely for the prevailing conditions, why would you want to have to reset it after a comfort stop. It is hardly a major consideration at the end of the day to park the screen if you so desire, but I suppose the same applies resetting it during a ride. The FJR didn't have the complication of a GPS high on the dash to fiddle with.

But the LC does return to its setting when you start agsin.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote:
But the LC does return to its setting when you start agsin.

Another BMW built in wallet lightening feature causing extra wear on the motor leading to expensive premature replacement perhaps?  ;)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

RTman10 wrote: But the LC does return to its setting when you start agsin.
Best of both worlds then, technology marches on. Problem is keeping up with it, especially for us old pharts (speaking personally).
Chris
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

My only objection with the LC screen (and I know this has been covered extensively elsewhere) is when you want to wash it. There is no choice but to turn the bike on while cleaning so you can have the screen up - which is really annoying.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Paggers wrote: My only objection with the LC screen (and I know this has been covered extensively elsewhere) is when you want to wash it. There is no choice but to turn the bike on while cleaning so you can have the screen up - which is really annoying.
Or remove it and do the job properly ? :D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: Or remove it and do the job properly ? :D

Continually removing the screen is apparently not a good idea, there is a possibility of messing up the screws the hold the screen on, this is something I read on another forum, so not from my own experience. For the couple of minutes it takes to wash the screen, having the ignition on, doesn't cause me any issues, but i guess its like the sat nav lock discussion, different things annoy different people  8)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: Continually removing the screen is apparently not a good idea, there is a possibility of messing up the screws the hold the screen on, this is something I read on another forum, so not from my own experience. For the couple of minutes it takes to wash the screen, having the ignition on, doesn't cause me any issues, but i guess its like the sat nav lock discussion, different things annoy different people 8)
I don't see why regularly removing the screen should be a problem (which doesn't mean it won't be !), but I only go that far a few times a year to get it properly clean, as with the silencer etc.  For normal washing I'll switch the bike on but have the kill switch off, because I seem to remember that having direct current passing through a coil can cause it to overheat and fail - or did that end with electronic ignition ??
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: I don't see why regularly removing the screen should be a problem (which doesn't mean it won't be !),but I only go that far a few times a year to get it properly clean, as with the silencer etc.  For normal washing I'll switch the bike on but have the kill switch off, because I seem to remember that having direct current passing through a coil can cause it to overheat and fail - or did that end with electronic ignition ??

I remember the killing the coil thing, but thought that issue went away years ago, but never researched it, so not sure.