Prospective '12 RT owner

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
panaray

Prospective '12 RT owner

Post by panaray »

Hello there. A neophyte here.
I'm a long time rider looking to add a long-distance bike to my stable, which consists of Diavel, Brutale and (old) 900SS. After several different test rides, I think I'm converging on a previous-generation R1200RT. Why previous generation? it's because I have short 29" inseam legs, and found the current generation a bit too tall, even with low seat.
As this will be my first Bimmer, I seek guidance from the forum members on "what problems to look for" as I start my search. For current owners, any tips on the most common troubles would suffice.
The wise men (and women) of the RT forum please enlighten me your institutional knowledge!
Last edited by panaray on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Prospective '12 RT owner

Post by leonjennings »

go for the 2010-2013 model R1200RT SE. If you can get the latest 2013 you can. By far the best model they have ever made. The new LC's are riddled with issues and in time will be excellent; just not yet.

2012 SE
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

leonjennings wrote: go for the 2010-2013 model R1200RT SE. If you can get the latest 2013 you can. By far the best model they have ever made. The new LC's are riddled with issues and in time will be excellent; just not yet.

Mines been perfectly reliable over 24K and just under 3 years. So "riddled with issues..." Not mine.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

+1.. The 2010 to 2013 vintage are the ones to be looking for as they are far superior models, so much so they're gaining in value now  ;) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

My '16 RT has been superb through 15K miles. I noticed the suspension settled a bit on mine after several thousand miles and I was able to move the low seat to the high position. I have 29" inseam. So if you're only checking out demo bikes you might want to try one with some miles on it.
Steve
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

simbo wrote: +1.. The 2010 to 2013 vintage are the ones to be looking for as they are far superior models, so much so they're gaining in value now  ;)

I like mine.  A few niggly faults (Over four years of ownership) but you buy it for the way it rides, not BMW build-quality.  It'll cost you to maintain it but there is no better tourer.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

simbo wrote: +1.. The 2010 to 2013 vintage are the ones to be looking for as they are far superior models, so much so they're gaining in value now  ;)
Yep. TC's. SE model. :)
panaray

Post by panaray »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
So, with this (previous, 10-13) generation of RTs there are no common problems? Hard to believe, but I have never owned a German bike before. Those Bavarian engineers are mighty sharp! (From experience)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

panaray wrote: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
So, with this (previous, 10-13) generation of RTs there are no common problems? Hard to believe, but I have never owned a German bike before. Those Bavarian engineers are mighty sharp! (From experience)

The BMW is an excellent bike in all its forms. A great tourer. However if you are new to BMW ownership just beware of the bikes natural ability to corrode. If you ride in winter keep it clean. Use ACF50 or alternatives. check out some of the threads here on corrosion. Enjoy.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

All generations of BMW bikes have had their problems. What you are seeing is the natural "mine is better" that you get on all such forums. I have a 2017MY RT, I love it, and I have had no problems (but then only 5k miles in so far). Other people have had a torrid time with the newer bikes. Buying an older one, if it did have problems they will tend to have been resolved by the time it gets to you.

As I'm sure you are aware, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' bike. So whichever one you decide to go with, buy with your eyes open and be ready to deal with any curved spanners that get thrown in your direction. I'm sure that whichever bike you get you are going to be a happy chappy.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

One issue on the 10-13 is the iffy switchgear on the left side bar. Headlight main beam/flash switch, cruise etc. These are weak and can cause problems. Check thoroughly before buying as they're a lot of dosh to replace.
Tones

Post by Tones »

I'm the same inside leg at 29"  I found that a standard RT is still too tall in the lowest saddle setting for me. Therefore I searched for a factory low seat option. Only got it recently but well worth the wait to get both feet on terra firma.
panaray

Post by panaray »

Dogbreath wrote: One issue on the 10-13 is the iffy switchgear on the left side bar. Headlight main beam/flash switch, cruise etc. These are weak and can cause problems. Check thoroughly before buying as they're a lot of dosh to replace.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻thanks!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My 2007 RT SE had issues with rear wheel bearing and ring antenna, 2010 RT SE had switch gear issues. None of these faults were uncommon, but should be clear on a well used, well maintained bike. My 2013 RT SE (essentially the same bike as the 2010 model) was faultless and covered a lot of miles far from home (including all the way around the Baltic Sea) without a hitch. All excellent bikes, but if you want a recommendation from me, go for the latest, best maintained model you can find (don't worry about mileage as long as a competent BMW dealer has looked after it).
I do find it strange, however, that you find the LC too tall - most people find it easier to get flat-footed on the LC than on the air cooled bikes. I'm less than 5'11" tall with 31 1/2" inside leg and can get my feet flat with my high seat in the high position, and I would have thought a low seat in the low position would be lower than any air cooled model with a standard seat.
Good luck with whatever you choose !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
panaray

Post by panaray »

gogs01 wrote: My 2007 RT SE had issues with rear wheel bearing and ring antenna, 2010 RT SE had switch gear issues. None of these faults were uncommon, but should be clear on a well used, well maintained bike. My 2013 RT SE (essentially the same bike as the 2010 model) was faultless and covered a lot of miles far from home (including all the way around the Baltic Sea) without a hitch. All excellent bikes, but if you want a recommendation from me, go for the latest, best maintained model you can find (don't worry about mileage as long as a competent BMW dealer has looked after it).
I do find it strange, however, that you find the LC too tall - most people find it easier to get flat-footed on the LC than on the air cooled bikes. I'm less than 5'11" tall with 31 1/2" inside leg and can get my feet flat with my high seat in the high position, and I would have thought a low seat in the low position would be lower than any air cooled model with a standard seat.
Good luck with whatever you choose !
Well, i'm 5'5". I wish i'm 5'11"!  Every fraction of an inch is important for me 😀