Actual interval between valves needing adjustment on R1200RTW?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
kioolt
United States of America

Actual interval between valves needing adjustment on R1200RTW?

Post by kioolt »

I don't have a R1200RTW yet but I see one in my near future.  I've done the valve adjustments on my airhead, classic K and my oilhead without any problem.  I see that the wetheads need the cam to be removed to do valve adjustments.  The check interval appears to be 12k miles.  What has been the actual mileage interval for the need to make adjustments?
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Actual interval between valves needing adjustment on R1200RTW?

Post by pkpilot »

kioolt wrote: I don't have a R1200RTW yet but I see one in my near future.  I've done the valve adjustments on my airhead, classic K and my oilhead without any problem.  I see that the wetheads need the cam to be removed to do valve adjustments.  The check interval appears to be 12k miles.  What has been the actual mileage interval for the need to make adjustments?
I am not a mechanic, so I am not sure I am qualified to comment.  The dealer's maintenance people have all told me they never have to adjust the RTW valves.  They seem to always be in spec.  I hope that is true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kioolt
United States of America

Post by kioolt »

That's good to know.  I've looked at the maintenance schedule for the R1200RTW and find that the hardest thing to do would have been the valve adjustment.  The valve check is not hard at all.
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
mattye

Post by mattye »

Hi Kooilt

I do my own servicing on my 2014 RT wet head and the valve check is every 12K miles as you have in your post. I bought my bike in June 16 with 4.5K miles on. It now has 35200 miles and i have checked the valve clearance every 12K and never had to make any adjustments.

Hope this gives you a bit more info on the topic.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Just done my 24K service on 2014 RT LC. All valves in mid range of specification and no signs of any cam lobe wear. This looks good for 50K before shim adjustment. Might add I don't thrash my bike and never do any stop start traffic work. It gets an easy life. Whether thats makes any difference I don't know.