Hi from the Isle of Wight

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Fabman

Hi from the Isle of Wight

Post by Fabman »

Hi everyone,
Just thought I dip my toes in the water , I am a BMW 1200rt wannabe for the last two years but still haven't taken the plunge , I only ride from March till September then my bike goes away for winter unless a sunny Sunday appears,
My first question I would like to ask is why do I see so many low mileage bikes fairly new bikes for sale ?
I know an rt forum might be biased but I would love to know why people fork out big bucks then sell them , love the look of the bike and want one so bad although do I go for best I can afford or try older one first to ensure it's the bike for me ?

B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Hi from the Isle of Wight

Post by B787MECH »

I think the answer is that they are often bought as luxury "toys" by people of a certain age with a large disposable income. Not many owners are hardcore riders racking up high mileages.They don't want to risk any hassle and so part exchange them when the warranty is about to run out. Couple that with the trend towards PCP (leasing) and you get a lot of low mileage trade-ins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Low mileage because people only ride them in the Summer and put them away in the Winter  8)  Seriously though as above luxury item, people find they have busy life styles and don't actually get to ride. Same as a lot of Harley riders, loads of low mileage bikes around, which is great if your buying used. I bought a fully loaded 2014 RT a year ago January, with 2k on the clock, the bike is now coming up for its 12k service. It is a brilliant bike, really like it and it has fast become my favourite bike. I also ride a 2010 RTP, which I also like. Go for it, get the ferry over to the mainland and put some miles on it.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Hi, Like you have wanted one for a number of years and decided to take the plunge (long time dead). In 3 months have covered 5,500 miles (would be more but need to keep to service schedule) and am absolutely loving it. Sure, not cheap to own or run but try to quantify pounds per pleasure. You certainly need a big bike for I.O.W! 
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

If you buy one you will do more miles as riding these bikes in rubbish weather is no great issue so I would recommend you getting one, as for low mileage ones for sale then I have to agree with the previous statement that they are brought by people as expensive toys. My brother just sold his 3 year old one which had about 6k miles on it - someone definitely bagged a bargain! It was fully spec'd, matt colour, just needed a service, mot, tyres, small scratches sorted and a bargain at 11k!
Fabman

Post by Fabman »

Thanks for all replies so far , was hoping you weren't offended by me asking about this topic , my only issue is the servicing side as it would mean a trip to Alton BMW every year on mainland which also impacts on servicing cost ,
Love the way the bike looks , have a suzuki v strom 650 al3 at the moment which have done two trips to France on with the better half .
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I think we'll see more decent used stuff as PCP has become so popular and people hand in a well maintained and cared for bike to collect a new one for another 3 years