ITS N0T A BIKE BUT ITS DEFINITELY NOT A CAR

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

ITS N0T A BIKE BUT ITS DEFINITELY NOT A CAR

Post by guest2360 »

Having now been on 3 wheels for a couple of weeks I've come to some conclusions which might be helpful for those considering such a move.  My main reason for the swap was my wife's decision to no longer jump on the back.  This was partly down to me dropping a K1600 Exclusive on her 3 times in 3 months.  Changing back to the RT for some reason didn't restore her confidence .  So after a further 3 years being a Billy No Mates we tried the Can Am.
These things aren't cheap with the RT Limited version retailing at £27500, but you get a lot for your money.  The build quality is suburb.  Weather protection is next to perfect and it's got a great motor, a 1330 cc Rotax triple.  Rotax along with Can Am are all BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products).  Probably the reason the horn sounds like a train one.
I am a great fan of Pro Shift but disappointed it only really works in 4 of the 6 gears.  Now I have it in all six with never a glitch.  Do I miss the clutch lever, no.  For that matter I don't miss the brake lever either. 
But there is always the thought is it a bike or a car.  It's neither but with many of the advantages of a bike and quite a few of a car.  We are still out in the open at the same height we were with the RT but with a lot more room for two.  Luggage space is all you could ask for at 155 l.  Cram it full and it makes no difference to the handling.  Performance is brisk with a stated 4 seconds to 60 mph but I've yet to prove that and top speed is limited to 125 mph, also untested.  Handling is very alien to start with and probably more so for a biker as it does everything the wrong way round on corners and you have to learn to stop counter steering which I think we all do subconsciously. But now after a few hundred miles in the saddle it nearly feels normal and my cornering speeds are back to what they were, nearly.
Running costs should be on par with the RT except services times are every 9000 miles  with owners getting over 18000 miles out of a set of tyres.  That's 3 times the mileage I got out of RTs.  Brake pads likewise have a lot longer life.
So what have I lost and gained over 2 wheels.  Filtering is not an option being 1.5m wide.  Still considerable less than a car and it's possible to squeeze it through some gaps. .  That's it for losses for me.
I've gained utter stability , better weather protection , more luggage space, better build quality , 3 years warranty,  a happy pillion and loads of fun.. And if you're nuts you don't need to wear a helmet.  You do need a good sized shed to keep it in though, it's a big bugger. Also don't consider one if you are a shy type.  Every time you stop the world wants to know what it is.
Here’s a few close ups before it gets covered  in Derbyshire muck.
Attachments
WP_20170630_19_10_23_Pro.jpg
WP_20170630_19_07_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20170630_19_06_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20170630_19_06_34_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20170630_19_05_46_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20170609_13_55_51_Pro.jpg
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve.sharkey

Re: ITS N0T A BIKE BUT ITS DEFINITELY NOT A CAR

Post by steve.sharkey »

It's a perspective thing (glass half empty/full) I found it amusing and eye opening to read I'd always thought of it from the view of: none of the advantages of a bike and none of a car but like I say perspective. When I built and drove a kit car I saw only the positives whilst others saw the downsides. I get the thing about not being shy to strangers coming up. The main thing is being able to get out there and your SO also being happy to share! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ukspyderweb.com
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: ukspyderweb.com

Spyderlovers.com.  It's American but very enlightening.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I thought these things had Rotax V twin engines of about 1000cc, and chain drive.  I read on that Spyder website that they now have 1300cc triple engines and shaft drive.  Wow !

I'd love to get a test ride (drive ?) on one - they must be amazing / weird / different.  I wonder how they would fare on a track day against solo bikes ?

My wife says she'll still come on the back of the RT this year, so I don't have to decide yet on replacing the RT with a three-wheeler or just a much lighter, more manageable, bike to ride solo.  The price of the Spyder might then decide the outcome of that debate !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yep the RT version has a 1330 triple.  They are all belt drive but said to be OK up to huge mileages.  Gearbox is semi auto, manual up but auto down.  You always end up in first at a stop.  Pulls like a train.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

RTman10 wrote:
Spyderlovers.com.  It's American but very enlightening.
You say that as if being American is a bad thing?!?  ;)
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Certainly not.  They do huge mileages compared to us but you have to do your sums when they discuss things like mpg.  As an example I asked about fuel range and accuracy of the gauge.  Got 16 different answers within the hour. All good fun. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:ukspyderweb.com
The clue is in the UK.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: The clue is in the UK.

It seems to be a little used forum that I found difficult to navigate.  Could be something to do with Can Ams being very thin on the ground in UK.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It is a Can Am forum, this is an RT forum.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: It is a Can Am forum, this is an RT forum.

Better not mention your Yamaha then. 
Members asked for my findings which is what I've done. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

2 wheels good, 3 wheels bad.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

David. wrote: 2 wheels good, 3 wheels bad.

Got to ask but then I'm gone.  Have you ever ridden one or ever seen one.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I did think about looking at one before I got the iconic but that is as far as I got!
Having dropped my bike twice in the last few weeks it might be something I should look into again.

They appear to be just as limiting in their colour choices as BMW.
What do they do to the gallon?

I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.