Best replacement headlight bulbs?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Simon

Best replacement headlight bulbs?

Post by Simon »

Hi,

One of my H7 dipped headlight bulbs has failed, so I'm looking to replace both as a matched pair.

Any recommendations as to the best make / model bulb to use?  I like the idea of some "50% brighter" type bulbs, as I ride a lot on rural roads with no street lighting and little traffic, but do they make a difference in the real world?  Do they last as long as a "standard" bulb?

Thanks

Simon
2010 R1200RT SE - The Silver Machine
Cleverbee

Re: Best replacement headlight bulbs?

Post by Cleverbee »

Remember the quote from Bladerunner?

The light that burns twice as bright, lasts half as long'.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

Simon wrote: One of my H7 dipped headlight bulbs has failed...
Any recommendations as to the best make / model bulb to use?  I like the idea of some "50% brighter" type bulb...
Osram Night Racer 110
or the Narva repackaging of the same
Narva Blue Plus 110

Reformulated gas, over run filament, but still the same heat and current draw as a standard quartz halogen so no issues with wiring or reflectors and lenses. The maintain legal approval so no issues with them in that regard, but significantly brighter and whiter light (not silly blue like boy racers).

But as noted above, a shorter life.  I put a H4 version in my KTM headlight and it was a massive improvement over the stock globe.
Peter
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Simon wrote: .....  I like the idea of some "50% brighter" type bulbs. .....  do they make a difference in the real world?  Do they last as long as a "standard" bulb?

So yes, you will see an improvement, but they won't last as long. If you really need extra light you might consider fitting a pair of LED driving lights. More expensive, but even more effective.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Last reviews I read at auto something :-) Osram Night Breaker Unlimited and Philips X-Treme Vision +130% did well, I have used both and as mentioned above, much better than stock!  Peter
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the info guys.
I've ordered a pair of the Osram Night Breaker 110s.  Should arrive tomorrow, so a night ride to try them out is on the cards!
2010 R1200RT SE - The Silver Machine
austavla
Bike Model and Year: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Norway

Post by austavla »

Hi
I found H7 65W on Ebay Germany, and it's much better than stock.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/10x-Osram-H7-Gluhlampe-12V-65W-H7-PX26d-64217-Offroad-/332373560488?epid=1415287570&hash=item4d63020ca8:g:7HUAAOSwLN5Wknmj

I don't think Osram make these bulbs any more.

Audun
It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

This is my second bike that I have changed to HID. No regrets, only better night
vision. Will never go back!! Takes a bit of work, but is all worth it!